Maxell or TDK?

What brand of tape between just these two would you consider to be the better brand for cassette tape in general across the board,not one specific year?
sonyman64
The real trick was biasing the deck for a specific tape type. Different tapes required somewhat different biases. These had to be set using an oscilloscope for almost all decks. I liked TDK SA better than Maxell UDXL II; it sounded more lively. But as Johnd said, they were a bit spotty on construction. The best sounding cassette tape I ever heard was Sony UCX-S. I still have my Tandberg TCD 440A biased for it as the chromium oxide selection and it sounds terrific. They were well enough constructed that I have tapes I made in the mid 80's that can't be distinguished from the original vinyl. They also outperformed the TDK MA-R tapes, especially for the cost difference.
"The real trick was biasing the deck for a specific tape type"
That's what I found out as well. My Pioneer CT-F1000 worked best with Maxell XLII-S.
Now I'll have to dig out my tapes from the 70s and 80s and see how well they've held up.
+1 Effischer and Lowrider57. If you pick a tape and then bias the deck to the tape, you could get either one to perform at it's best.
Post removed