MC cartridges new vs. old

Hello,

In my analog source I have intalled a used Lyra Delos as replacement.

But, I was looking a new cartridge, and found two diferent options, a new and old MC cartridges:

a) New Lyra Dorian at 850 € (special dealer offer)
b) Little used (less 50 h) Spectral MCR Signature at 950 €

All I have read about Spectral is great but is a very low output cartridge (0,2 mV) that is apparently hard to drive and very sensible to setup. Is the first generation of Scantech, is an old but appears to be a great low output cartridge from all reviews from users...

Dorian is a new cartridge, more easy to drive (0,6 mV) and also sensible to setup, is the five generation of Scan Tech.... Jonathan Carr, the designer recomend last generation of cartridge in general...

The rest of analog components:

Wilson Benesch Circle TT
Wilson Benesch ACT 0.5 arm
EAR 834P phone

What are your opinion or election betwwen these two or another similar to the Spectral like Lyra Clavis DC...

Thank you for your opinions and help.

Kind Regards,
geropaa
As I read your OP, and I read your mention of the Spectral, I thought to myself "Oh, oh!". Then I saw that you use the EAR 834P. Given the EAR's warm and lush character and generous gain, the Spectral might be a great match. I owned the Spectral years ago. It is an incredibly detailed and fast cartridge, but lean and a little dry and colorless (the natural kind of color is a good thing); very unforgiving. I also owned the original Clavis and I consider the Spectral a better cartridge. Never heard the Delos, but perhaps you can extrapolate some useful information from the above. Good luck.
Unequivocal unqualified statements asserting that something is "always" true are "always" wrong. Including the preceding sentence, although not often :-)

Regards,
-- Al
I'm not so sure about new always being better. I have a Benz Glider that I've had Peter of Soundsmith retip with a ruby cantilever a few times and it sounds better than anything I've listen to in its price range today.

I also picked up an older Adcom XC/LT with a broken cantilever, "I owned one back in the 80's", and again had Peter do his magic. I'm saving it as a back up, or a second arm. Anyway, I have listen to two side of an album with it, and it also sounds fantastic. I don't think anything under $700 could beat it and maybe more. It has the same wonderful qualities as the Glider but with a bit more punch and midrange presence. The Glider sounds a little more refined.

Certainly there are great cartridges out there today and some real nice budget cartridges. One caveat is that I can not afford real expensive cartridges, so all bets are of for one that cost 1500 or more. Magnets have come a ways in this regards and have allow for lower coil wiring and higher signal.....but again they are very expensive and most likely worth it, too.
Hi Frogman,
I am interested in one question about the time you have the Spectral and the EAR 834P,... Do you remember the arm you have in the turntable?

I have the Wilson Benesch ACT 0.5, a 9 gr mass arm... and I am not sure about compliance of cartrige is right.

I am happy with you words about Spectral because I have, in fact interest in it, but I am not sure is right decisión to waste more money in an "special" used cartridge than in a new good cartridge.... it could be a nonsense but I have something similar a "good feeling" with these "old" cartridge...

Anyway,... is a pleasure read all of you.

Thank you again