MMG Placement

I am considering taking advantage of the trial offer on these speakers. I have owned larger Maggies before. Amp will be Adcom GFA-555 with matching preamp.

My question is placement in my 13x22x10 ft room. One end is a glass slider with plastic vertical blinds. The other end is open to the kitchen above 4 ft. Floors are laminate. Seems like placement should be along the long wall, but how far in front of the wall given the narrow 13 ft width? Also, how long a cable run is reasonable?

Other furniture in the room includes 9x10 L-shaped couch, recliner chair, computer table and TV stand. I can't see a way to sit in the sweet spot, so my goal is to fill the room with sound and be unable to locate the speakers.

If there is a way to attach pictures, I have some of the bare room.
kythyn
Oh, one other thing, The Gallo tweeter had a full 180 degree dispersion, and why I can't tell you but said tweeter is very little effected by 10 ft wide ,floor to ceiling sliding glass door in my condo.
fwiw I use SMGa's in a room 13' x 30' x 8' and the balance is terrific with beautiful bass, however, I have them placed at one end of the room (about 5 feet out) not along the side wall like you want to do.

also fwiw the SMGa is supposed to be a better balanced speaker than the MMG which is supposed to be a bit bright
Schubert,

Thank you I will check on the Gallos. If you had to describe the sound relative to Maggies, what would you say?

Philojet,

The only way I can place them on the short wall is in front of the kitchen pass-through (4 feet high). If I do that, I could create some distance from the half wall, but probably not 5 feet.
Its just my opinion, but I think Magnepan is overrated. I put my 1.7's next to my Vandersteen Model 1's and felt that the Model 1's were definitely a better speaker. Next to my Model 2's, the 1.7's sounded defective.
I suggest you take Magnepan up on their trial offer.
I think the Adcom would be plenty to drive the MMGs or 12s, and long speaker cables shouldn't be a problem.
Getting room filling, speaker disappearing sound might be a challenge, but you won't know until you try.

It's been a while since I've owned them (MG12 and MG1.6), but I enjoyed the heck out of them while I did. Great speakers.