Music vs. Components

Greetings everyone. Here's a biggie: When you sit down for a session with your hi-fi, what do you find that you are really listening to most 1) the music, or 2) your components? Where and what is that mysterious, illusive, fine line between 1) simply and wonderfully enjoying the music and.... 2) listening critically for either how "great" your system sounds (such as trying to justify upgrades, tweaks, tube rolling, wire changes, etc.) or listening for all of the flaws and weaknesses of your gear. When does the tweaking stop and the enjoyment begin? Conversely, when is it time to improve and upgrade because, in reality, you would be happier if your system sounded better?
bside123
Jafant - The fact that you think that recognize that components can be prominent essentially proves that you listen to components on some level rather than music. People that are only into the music won't complain unless the CD skips.

Odd thought of the day:

Has an audiophile ever been guilty of not completely enjoying an accoustic performance becase the instrument quality (think violin or guitar) wasn't good enough quality?

I'll admit to listening to David Garrett over Josh Bell simply because David Garrett plays a stradivarius and it sound much better on identical classical music. This observation is from recording since I've only heard David Garrett live and it was amplified. A friend of mine observed that Garrett played a stradivarius while listening to a CD that I have, based on his symphony experiences.
mceljo: 8-11-10 "...proves that you listen to components on some level rather than music..." dude you just blew my mind!

how else are we supposed to listen if not through our components?

and just what are you trying to prove? that we need components to listen to music at home? or that we need too listen to components to listen to music at home? or that we need music, to listen to, through components? or that when I play music through my acoustic guitar i am listening too, and too the music i am making with my guitar i am listening to, through the room i am sitting in too, after the two bowl's I just smoked?

also, a great instrument is fine. a great musician is preferred, too. either don't mean a thing if they ain't got that swing.

Oakleys - I'm not really trying to "prove" anything. It's interesting to me how few audiophiles will admit that listening to components is their primary enjoyment. I'm certainly into music from a technology/science aspect much more than I am for the pure music.

When you're into the music, everything else is gone, not because it sounds good but because you're captivated by it. This doesn't require a perfect sound system.

Have you ever watched a movie on a small or black & white TV and didn't care that you didn't have the 50 inch flatscreen? When a story truly captures you it doesn't matter what it's being played on. Some movies are only great because of the technology they use and other have great stories...some have both.
Mceljo. I understand what you're saying. But I'm actually one of those people who are more into music than gear. I grew up playing guitar and piano, and I approached 'hi-fi" as a musician and music lover. Indeed over the pas 17 yrs or so I have spent considerable time, and attention, and monies into putting together an ok system that gets me high everytime i sit down and listen to music. which i how i approach it, i don't multi task.

also i agree with your next point, to an extent. I've found that with patience and much time spent finding the right system for my interests, I am now able to reach a higher level of involvement with the music i enjoy listening too than with any other system I have ever listened to or owned.

ever read a book? any argument can be made about anything. so why bother? learn to make and/or enjoy music and you'll enjoy life more. or don't.

I get your point. but when a person finds some equipment they really dig, chances are good that they might be able to enjoy listening to their music collection on an elevated level compared to what you are familiar with, or perhaps even looking for.

for me, my atma-sphere otl ma1 mono blocks and mp1 phono stage is the end of the "not so merry go round"

good luck!
I can't help but listen to the components maybe because I love my gear. Not so with the headset, that is all about the music. With the gear, one track sounds great, another, not so great so my mind is constantly wondering what improvements could or should be made. With the headset it is total immersion in the music, with the gear my head is always above water. Can't help myself.