Network Switches

david_ten
If you challenged me, I would probably go out on a limb and say that no, your technicians probably don’t know the underlying protocols for audio transmission over ethernet very well, but that is a moot point.

As I, Almarg, and others have stated so many times in this thread, which you seem to constantly ignore, is that it is not about digital data transmission, it is about noise injection into end equipment via the data lines and/or power supply lines when USB is being discussed.

However, it is not accurate to say that nothing done in the digital domain for audio can’t effect the analog outcome downstream. Packet rates for audio over ethernet are right in the middle of the audio bandwidth which could lead to power supply pumping in the downstream product due to varying power requirements in step with packet arrival. That pumping of the supply then coupling to the DAC section. At a switch level I could break big packets into small packets to change the packet arrival rate and the signature of that pumping.
mike201910 posts10-31-2019 9:30am @atdavid

Oh my goodness ! get into the 21st century. A network technician should know everything w.r.t. noise free analogue signal reconstruction.

mike201910 posts10-31-2019 9:57am @atdavid
When did I say I was a network technician ? That was many years ago. More recently I have designed and installed networks for the likes of TV and radio studios.
Besides which, if I discovered that one of my tecnicians did not know exactly how sound was encoded into a digital signal, transmitted and then decoded back to an audio signal, he or she will be looking for another job
How can a switch adjust the audio encoded in a digital signal passing through it ???? This is the sort of thing you really must try to learn about. IT CANT

@atdavid

" As I, Almarg, and others have stated so many times in this thread, which you seem to constantly ignore, is that it is not about digital data transmission, it is about noise injection into end equipment via the data lines and/or power supply lines when USB is being discussed."

I am not ignoring it, I am just pointing out that it is all about digital data transmission and how ridiculous it is to say that eliminating noise injection can, for example , "enhance the sound stage" and why is this only a problem in an "audiophile's" home network and nowhere else in the world

I am sorry but you just continue to show your complete lack of knowledge regarding digital audio. Mine is very extensive

“I am sorry but you just continue to show your complete lack of knowledge regarding digital audio. Mine is very extensive”.

People with inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration...isn’t there a word to describe this kind of personality disorder? 
I personally on this thread have never used the word "sound-stage", and would not attribute a quality that is almost exclusively a function of speakers to noise injected into the analog section of a component. However, I also know that even audiophiles don’t know the proper words to describe what they are hearing often, and I know technically that a change is possible, so I am not ruling out it is occurring, and I do rule out many claims made in the audiophile world.

I find it rather hilarious though that you imply I have a "complete lack of knowledge of digital audio" and you are an expert when I would pretty much guarantee my comment about power supply pumping due to packet arrival rates never even occurred to you. Your statement w.r.t. noise injection shows a limited experience set. You may have a large experience set at a high level, but your comments show a limited knowledge set at the component implementation level.

These issue are not limited to home audio. Better quality industrial USB data acquisitions units have internal isolation. The ones that don’t are prone to measurement error and noise due to ground loops. In higher noise industrial environments, ethernet over fiber is not uncommon due to data loss issues with wired communication.

Other than "you are wrong", and that all bits are received, without issue and that bit timing is not critical, a fact that is actually not disputed by many in this community, I have yet to see evidence of your experience.

mike201912 posts10-31-2019 10:46am

@atdavid

" As I, Almarg, and others have stated so many times in this thread, which you seem to constantly ignore, is that it is not about digital data transmission, it is about noise injection into end equipment via the data lines and/or power supply lines when USB is being discussed."

I am not ignoring it, I am just pointing out that it is all about digital data transmission and how ridiculous it is to say that eliminating noise injection can, for example , "enhance the sound stage" and why is this only a problem in an "audiophile’s" home network and nowhere else in the world

I am sorry but you just continue to show your complete lack of knowledge regarding digital audio. Mine is very extensive

I must say that I find it amusing that one of those claiming that cables and switches can enhance digitised audio can ask for 'evidence' when refusing time after time to have their perceptions put to a proper test. very droll

Experience and qualifications ? I am the guy with years of experience trusted by recording studios and TV studios.... and you are the guy who thinks that a switch can change the fidelity of a digitised audio stream passing through it........... hmmm

Natural selection will eventually put these bogus switch and cable manufacturers out of business by removing their patsies as, presumably, it is the same people who believe the cable and switch manufacturers rather than believe experts and facts who will also believe, for example, the ads for Miracle Mineral Solution rather than believe the FDA.

They will carry on drinking very expensive bleach to their last breath, while telling the medical experts that they don't know what they are talking about.

I give up. some people just do not want to learn.

I have just found a forum where pseudo science and ridiculous claims are forbidden

I won't be here to see your reply but thanks for a (reasonably) civilised discussion :)

(and I am still looking for anybody to explain how a cable or a switch can adjust or change or enhance a digitised audio file passing through it. Just take a while to think about the impossibility of that claim)

thanks

see y'all