New Speakers under consideration - but I’m afraid

I really like my speakers but I am considering an upgrade. I have B&W 801 S2 MkIII that I bought new in 1999 (re-coned with modded x-over). I’m afraid that what I get will not equal them and new may  just be different.

They are bi-amped with McIntosh up top and Krell on the bottom. Analog is Revox B77 and dig is Oppo 105D with Bryston DAC3.

I will also likely upgrade the DAC but this thread is about speakers.

I need a dynamic loudspeaker that is as good with chamber music as it is with acoustic jazz, rock and electronic music (everything but Country and Rap).

I haven’t heard anything yet but am considering Borrersen X3, Wilson Sasha and B&W 803 D4.

Should I be afraid or will these speakers all best a 25 yr old design?

ritter06

If you like the B&W sound you are on the right track with the options you mention but you might like to add Focal to the list. Not my cup of tea but speaker choice is very personal and I prefer the more musical (less analytical ) speakers like Sonus Faber.

Listening to music in the Bahamas on any of the speakers on your list sounds divine to me.

The 801s were $5.5k in 1999. New.

Several years ago I took a fav cd and went and listened to WW Puppies driven by great electronics and thought what’s the big deal. They did not seem to resolve any better and seemed lacking on the bottom. 

Now, how many iterations later, I wonder if the Sashas have improved enough- surely they must have, no? I would be looking at used so listening may be an issue.

The new 802s ( I wrote 803s above but meant 802s) share the same B&W DNA so should be an improvement and safer choice (but would still go for a listen). My ears have rolled off on top so B&W brightness may be less of an issue. 

I’m a big believer in physics and can’t see (or hear) how the X3s go very deep, but I failed to mention that I have a VMPS Larger sub driven by Crown K2, so deep bass is not an issue. Will try and have listen in Fla.

you need to look at Legacy's way more dynamic then all of the speakers you mentioned and designed to be bi-amped with their wavelet processor

the signature se $9300 depending on finish are an incredible deal

very efficient 92db

high power handling 20watts to 300

very deep subwoofer level bass 22hz

can be bi-amplified.

state of the art heil AMT tweeter and midrange for incredible resolution and a huge soundstage.

stunning real wood finishes.

American made ,great service and support.

Dave and Troy

Audio Intellect NJ

Legacy dealer.