New Teres Direct Drive Motor Available as Option

Hi Folks:
It looks like Teres is now offering a direct drive motor as an option on their regualar tables. As a Teres 255 owner I'm contemplating the upgrade. Has anyone tried the new motor on there existing/old Teres, and does it seem like the upgrade is worth it? Here's a link to the new product:
http://www.teresaudio.com/verus-motor.html

Cheers,
John.
128x128outlier
An interesting question. Maybe Teres will offer up some info.

I think that Teres uses a mix of oil and poly as the finish. I don't think the o-ring would wear it off, but it may cause a track to become visible after a while. There is not much pressure on the platter from the mylar belts so I wouldn't expect there to be much from this drive. Although it would be concentrated at on spot and not distributed around the edge as with the belts. The cocobolo is really hard, it machines nicely and can be threaded.

I wonder what a little wax around the edge would do?
Johnbrown, contact from the o-ring will cause some wear on the platter, but so do belts and strings. It seems that the amount of wear would be proportional to the size of the contact area. So the amount of wear would probably be about the same as with a narrow belt or a string. But the forces involved here are very small so this is not a big issue.

I have no concerns about the o-ring damaging wood platters. Cocobolo is very hard and is considerably more durable than PVC and would have about the same durability as aluminum. Cocobolo is quite unlike common north American hardwoods. It is one of the few woods that sinks in water and has rigidity and hardness that approaches brass and aluminum. So there is no need to add a contact surface.

Chris
Just curious. How much force does the o-ring apply laterally against the platter? 1/10 gram? 1 gram? Other?

What keeps the o-ring from moving away from the platter over time? The weight of the motor? Other?

As the o-ring wears due to friction, would the user need to move it closer or otherwise adjust its distance to the platter? Or does it matter so long as the o-ring is in contact with the platter?

Thanks for considering the question. Jeff
Jeff, I don't know what the force is on the o-ring but it's more than a gram.

We use a very simple but effective method to keep even pressure on the o-ring. The motor pod simply leans against the platter. There are two small rubber feet under the motor pod that are offset from the center that causes that pod to tilt. The pod stands straight up and rests on three points, the two feet and the o-ring. really easy to setup. No springs, pivots or hinges, just gravity.

Chris
"No springs, pivots or hinges, just gravity."

Sometimes the old ways are still best.

Thanks for the info Chris.