Newbie - Replacing front speakers & going 5.0! Advice needed :)

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on an AV forum, so please be gentle.

I have come here to get the best from my set up, share my experiences and learn more about audio. I currently have the following which I purchased around 6-9 months ago from Richer Sounds:

• Front Speakers - Monitor Audio Bronze 2
  • Centre Speaker - Monitor Audio Bronze Centre
  • AV Receiver - Yamaha RX-V481
  • Cable - Chord Company C-Screen
  • Banana Plugs: Cambridge Audio V2
I listened to the Bronze 6's recently and absolutely loved them, they sounded amazing compared to the Bronze 2's. I plan to move by Bronze 2's to the back and use them as my rear speakers so I can get the Bronze 6's for the front and have a 5.0 set up. I don't plan on going 5.1 as I live in a top floor flat, floor standers will provide enough bass.

I enjoy TV, movies & music. I probably care about music quality first, movie quality/experience second. 

I wouldn't mind stretching the budget a little bit and getting a floor stander from the new Monitor Audio Silver 6G range, but my OCD says to get the Bronze 6's so my set up is uniform.

I also wouldn't mind spending a little bit extra on cable/banana plugs if the extra money is worth it for floor standers.

I am fairly new to this and £699 is a fair amount of money to me so I want me make sure I won't have any issues with acoustics, sound reflections, speaker placement, bass, clarity, bottlenecks, surround sound and anything else which I need to consider!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
dan89

Dan - normally you could use the pre-outs on a receiver, but your model RX-V481 does not have pre-outs.  It is actually a pretty low-end receiver.  Like tls49 said, it's rated for 80 watts per channel into 2 channels.  When all channels driven, it can drop to something like 40 watts.  When your doing a HT movie this can become critical because the receiver can start clipping/distorting the sound because the power supply is not large enough to drive the speakers.  This can result in burned out tweeters and damaged voice coils. 

You could do something like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543ADP12/Russound-ADP-1-2-Speaker-level-to-Line-level-Adapter.html?tp=9070

It's not optimal, but if you really want to continue with your current receiver, it's your only way to add an external amp.  There are cheaper speaker-to-rca convertors, but they are usually limited to 50 watts / channel.  It's up to you.

If you're playing at the level of Monitor Audio Silver, you will probably want to get a more reference receiver or amp anyways. 

This is not the same thing as bi-amping.

Dan, your current Yamaha receiver is limited in it's capability. Even though possible, it's not really a good idea to add an amplifier and it alone, is just not powerful enough for some speakers without the risk of damage, as auxinput pointed out. I still say you should upgrade the receiver first or just be happy with the Bronze series of speakers.

Thank you auxinput & @tls49 , I am going to take your advice and get the Bronze 6 speakers. 

In the future I will upgrade the receiver to something more powerful, as it seems to be such a critical element I will get a high end receiver to future proof the system and deliver the speakers what they need. Even with the Bronze series it appears I am only just meeting the minimum requirements. 

Thank you all for your help & advice!