Ohm Speakers, thoughts?

I have long dismissed Ohm speakers as anything that could be competitive in todays state of the art. But of course I want to believe that this "old" American company still has some horsepower left to compete with asian built speakers built by people that take in less money in a week than my dog sitter takes in the couple hours it takes to let my dogs out to crap when I am away for a day :)? The reviews I have read here and there report incredible imaging but what about other aspects of the Ohm 5 II. Any thoughts?
nanderson
I wouldn't change anything until fully broken in. My W5's took a good 3 months, including several sessions running them full out with a 300W/ch amp! My Walsh 2s (100 drivers) were acquired used, and were fully broken in. I use them for reference. The most noticeable difference was in the bass. The Walsh 2s, though in a smaller room, were actually more satisfying in the bass department at first. The rest of the sound tended to smooth out over time I would say as well. Their overall timbre remind me of my Maggie 1.3c's now, which is a very good thing, but have a hell of a lot more satisfying bass. The Ohms were not this smooth at first, as I recall.

Why do you think you might need to upgrade the CD? What kind of amp do you use? The Ohms like amps with a high damping factor to control the drivers better. Look up "damping factor" on Wikipedia for more info on damping factor and how it relates to speakers.

John at Ohm recommended NAD electronics. I use a Carver m400t with very good results. I've tried my Tandberg receiver's amp with these and liked the Carver much better. I also think the Walsh drivers are better suited to solid state electronics in general due to their dynamic nature than to tubes, though I've never heard the Ohms driven with a really top notch tube amp.
Post removed 
Ohm is not a big shop. Wouldn't surprise me if they get backlogged from time to time.

With my Walsh 5's, I was told I would have them before they close for the summer (they close for the month of July) if I got my order in two weeks in advance + they were delivered on time, exceptionally well packed + in good shape.

On one other occasion, I placed a parts order on one day + received them UPS the next day. Ohm is located in Brooklyn, NY only about 230 miles from me.

My experience has been they generally do what they say and will try to make things right if they make a mistake.
Post removed 
Ohm does a lot of different tweaks to all their various models that they've produced over the years. They do almost anything in regards to customizing and upgrading in order to best suit specific customers needs. This is much different and complex than most speaker lines that have a set of clearly defined models and perhaps a few options. It may be hard to know exactly what to expect sometimes perhaps given all the different configurations possible, especially when an older model is upgraded.

With so many options open, mistakes can happen. Best to ask lots of questions up front to be sure to get the full picture before waiting for the product to arrive and be surprised by something.

For example the binding posts under one of my Walsh 2 S3's are positioned in a way that makes it more difficult to attach a heavy speaker cable like my Audioquest CV-6's with the cables running out the rear. Not sure exactly why this is, but it is a minor inconvenience for me in my case. They are still a bargain in my mind.