Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
@mapman

So my question to those of you that own one of the models would be about the high end.....  If the crossover is really in the 6-8k range, then I would say that the Walsh driver is carrying most of the load for the midrange and top end except for some of the really high harmonic overtones. 

Guttenberg's comments made it seem that while the speaker has a great midrange and overall presence, it may be lacking in openness or ambience or top end detail or realism....at least as compared to the LRS which is a pretty limited sample.

It would be great if you guys that own the speaker could comment on what your actual experience is and whether you think his portrayal of the top end is correct.

The overall presentation is radically different between Magnepan and Ohm Walsh as described including treble.

My newer Ohms replaced Magnepans and I have run them at the same time off the same system but in different rooms as many popular brands, B&W, Dynaudio, Triangle and currently Kef ls50s. Treble on each is different as is overall presentation but never lacking.

Each will even sound different in different rooms with different placement. What is "best" will come down largely to personal preference.

The Ohm Walshes tend to be more laid back and very neutral tone  never drawing any special attention to specific frequencies, just the music overall.

Magnepans somewhat more forward overall with unique inner detail.

Kef ls50 has a lot of attack, very good detail and overall coherency like the Ohms. .

Dynaudio Contour with Esotar tweeter a tad hotter sounding with some amps.

Triangle Titus also very laid back, a tad thinner, but very fast and articulate overall, the most Magnepan-like tonality of the bunch.

b&w P6 a warmer sound overall with very good meat on the bones in the bass like the Ohms but not great imagers.
@mapman 

Thanks for all of the comparisons.  I have to ask about what "laid back" means to you and what you are hearing?

I would probably say that for me, "laid back" suggests that the high mids and treble may be down a few db thereby giving two impressions....first that you are listening from row 20...and second, that some of the top end detail is missing....or that you are straining to hear it.

Somehow, though, my interpretations seems incorrect vs what many have said about the Ohms.  Example....you equate the Ohms to the LS50s for detail, coherency and attack...and having owned the LS50s for a while, I agree and would not at all suggest that the top end was rolled off or that they were laid back?

One thing though that I would say about the LS50s is that in a large room, even when crossed over to a 15" sealed sub, they still sounded relatively small...and so I had to let them go....on the other hand, I heard the Blade 2s at the Florida audio show in a small crappy room...and they still sounded excellent in every respect.
My ls50s are in a small 12X12 room with a powered sub. I would not use them in a large room.

My 8" and 12" Ohms are both in much larger rooms. Tweets in the standard design are angled in 45 degrees and cross well in front of my usual listening position. Sometimes I listen from a different location with more direct exposure and that tends to make things more like others that tend to have tweets facing forward.

You can also angle out the Ohms for more direct sound from tweets to tip up the treble, but that tends to narrow the soundstage, so its a balancing act. I tend to not do that.

My Ohm 5s have the 4 3 way frequency level adjustments, one in midrange and one in treble. Those adjustments make the big OHMs like the current 5000 very adjustable for personal preferences. There are 4 3 way level adjustments on each speak. That provides 3 to the 8th power or 6561 different combos making it easy to tune them to most any room and personal preference as needed. So I do not really perceive any lacking treble. However, I would note that I have older ears that do not hear out to 20khz anymore like they used to, so its possible others may hear things differently.

For me, the unique lifelike imaging of the Ohms (also mbl) as a whole provide a much more detailed listening experience overall when set up right than conventional speakers. That applies not just in cases where speakers like Magnepan shine, ie very well recorded smaller acoustic works, but good quality big dynamic large scale recordings, like orchestra and big band, which is where I found Magnepans to be lacking prior.

Laid back to me means pretty much what you said. I’ve heard large mbls set up optimally. Those tend to be similarly laid back as well. I’d say its a tendency of omni design speakers in general compared to those that fire straight at you. Magnepans fire forward and back and require a lot of distance to walls, so those are a different story all together.