Opinions: Martin Logan Renaissance 15a vs. Bowers & Wilkins 800D3

I have a choice between the ML Renaissance 15A used and Bowers & Wilkins 800D3 used, both are in great shape and priced near the same. I did attempt to listen to each under less than ideal conditions.

Which speaker would you pick and why?

128x128farne230

Good choice with the B&W 800D3's!

I "almost" purchased a pair myself when they were first offered.

At that time, I had been listening to them during scheduled auditions at my local Hifi store. And at the end of the initial session, I asked if they could possibly swap the gear to a different amplifier set. Instead of the (2-channel), "Classe" amplifier currently integrated with the B&W 800D3.

My sales rep. (Whom I have come to trust over the years). Informed me that these speakers had been actually, "Voiced" with the "Classe" amplifiers during final development in England. I was a bit surprised at this. Thinking at the time that "Classe" was in my mind, a bit of an "Underachiever" insofar as these things go.

But they did the gear swap before my next session. With a much more well regarded. "And expensive" set of mono-block amplifiers.

And I must admit that the B&W's sounded just more well-rounded with the (2-channel) "Classe" amp instead

So you "may" want to try one of the "Classe" offerings...

I do not remember the exact model. But I do remember, "new" it was retailing for ($5000-$5500). And this was a few years ago.

And I believe I remember him mentioning that it was a (2 x 200Wpc.) amp as well.

Good luck!

Thank you"boxer12", and "jollygreenaudiophile2" great advise. I am curious, if I consider mon-blocks instead of MAC's MA12000 integrated amp, say Classe Delta Mono or MAC MC611 mono-blocks, what will I gain besides cost more and additional cables? The two rooms my wife will allow me to expand are small roughly 13ft x14ft and I don't plan on playing loud. 

One advantage (a big one IMO) with going to separates instead of an integrated amp/preamp is the flexibility of being able to change one or the other out in the future. Also separates will likely give you better SQ with the B&W's as they are very revealing.  

@farne230 What is the size of your room, and how far out can you afford to have the speakers from the wall? Properly set up, the ML can be incredibly holographic and engaging, with a wide sweet spot. The 800D3 may be more analytical, with a much smaller sweet spot. And both speakers will require about 5ft behind them to get the absolute best out of them.