Pass or First Watt

My speakers will operate great on 2 watts. Currently I am running them with a nice 2a3 tube amp but at times the tubes make alot of noise thru the speakers so I have been looking at Nelsons new STI @10 watts or the Pass 30.5. Any one compare the Pass with any First Watt products?
bobheinatz
Thanks Bob,
It`d be a lot of fun to hear your amp with a premium level 2A3 such as the EML vs the First Watt SIT-1.Hope the opprotunity happens for you.
Regards,
I have a horn system in my home, efficiency is a bit over 100 dB / watt. There is only one solid state amp. that I have ever heard that I would consider running with it, the Pass Aleph J. Literally, almost indistinguishable from my 300b amps.

I have owned the RWA Signature 30.2 as well. I like the amp alot, the sound is very, very different though. Very full, thick and warm sounding, where as the Aleph J was as delicate and light and pleasant as a 300b amp. If I had less efficient speakers, the RWA would probably be better as it would have a little more grunt, but if you are running comfortably on a few watts, the Aleph J is a winner.

All that being said, if your tube amp is noisy, it is simply a poorly designed tube amp and or some bad tubes. I have a pair of Audio Note Kits Interstage Monoblocks that are completely and utterly silent with my horn setup. I have also auditioned a Yamamoto and Wavac that were completely silent as well. My 2 cents.
Hello Bob,
Having read Charles's post for quite some time and having had a slight dealing with him in the past, I give much weight to his opinions.
I also agree with Martin's remark about your tube amp being noisy. There must be a problem which could easily be remedied. My speakers are Beauhorn Virtuoso's (106 db) which are pretty similar to yours. Mine with Lowther DX4's. They are used with Wavelength Cardinals 300b or Wavelength 45 Amps. No noise ever, whatsoever!
Good luck
Hi Ischronism,
Thanks for the kind comment. Last year at RMAF I had the chance to hear the Wavelength Cardinal driving Vaughn speakers. Not only did they sound excellent in that room, those cardinals were dead quiet. Those arevery nice 300b amplifiers.
Regards,