Plz advise on Denon PRA 1500/POA 2400

Hi guys, I am new to stereo hifi. I was using quite a vintage solid state integrated Marantz PM 550 DC. And recently bought a used and well taken care Denon pre & power amp. I read that they are quite some guys here using the pra 1500 or poa 2400. I hope you guys could help me with some newbie questions.

For the Denon PRA 1500

- It seems like the volume pot has got to turn to 9'o clock at least before I could start hearing some music from the speaker is this normal? Below 9'o clock there is almost no sound.

- what is the variable loudness actually for?

- Subsonic?

-I have a yamaha EQ-70 any idea how I can loop EQ in to the PRA? ( There are quite afew PB & REC RCAs )
flyinmozart
Hi Hifiman5- sorry think the poa 2400 consumes 500 watt but is putting out 200wpc into 8ohms.I read that too much power wouldn't blow up the speakers. But a audio shop guy actually told me I would blow up my speakers since they are only 100 watts /6ohms speakers. Any idea? But I normally wouldn't even go pass half the volume.
06-28-11: Flyinmozart
"Hi Hifiman5- sorry think the poa 2400 consumes 500 watt but is putting out 200wpc into 8ohms.I read that too much power wouldn't blow up the speakers. But a audio shop guy actually told me I would blow up my speakers since they are only 100 watts /6ohms speakers. Any idea? But I normally wouldn't even go pass half the volume."

Flyinmozart,

Just keep the volume at reasonable levels and you will be fine. Too little power can cause distortion which can damage speakers. Too much power(when blasting) can damage speakers. Be wise with the volume and enjoy the music.

Bill
Unless you go nuts with the volume, you cannot blow up speakers with too powerful an amplifier. You CAN damage speakers if you listen at high volume with an amplifier that is not powerful enough for the speakers you are using. In that case the speaker voice coil heats up as the volume increases past the capacity of the amplifier because an over-driven amp puts out great amounts of distortion, and the distortion causes voice coil overheating. That's when you are damaging the speakers.
Ok thanks got a clearer picture now. Anyway u guys know anything about setting the gain levels on the poa2400. If I set it at half gain instead of max gain on the power amp am I running at half it's amp power? Cos it tends to run quite hot after pro-long listening and sometimes at night I am only listening at low volume. Does it make any difference? Also mostly on the left side of the amp is hot. The right side runs quite cool find it quite weird. Comparing to my denon avr once it heats up the whole top side of the amp is hot. Any idea?