Power Cables and Wall Sockets

Without knowing for certain, it seems to me that power cables can only be as good as the in-home wiring coming to the wall socket. Is it possible that those who use expensive cables have improved the wiring to the socket? Or is the power from most wall sockets normally excellent, but is limited by conventional power cables?

128x128imaninatural

What is known is NO power cord will solve his dimming light VD problem...

Very true!

The lights dimming is caused by voltage sagging. Voltage sagging is caused by one of two things:

• The amount of current being drawn
  • The amount of resistance to the current., either on the hot or the neutral wire

The voltage drop (or loss) is an easy calculation:

V = A * R

That is, the voltage lost is equal to the current times the resistance on the line. Since A is a function of the amplifier we can’t really reduce that except by new amps or more efficient speakers. 😁

What you can control:

• Reduce other loads on the circuit such as the lights by switching to LED types
  • Ensure all the connections between the breaker panel and lights are tight
  • Run the audio on a dedicated circuit
  • Run a thicker gauge wire to the circuit
  • Ensure you don’t have excess voltage on the neutral. Shouldn’t ever measure more than a couple of volts.

It may very well be worthwhile to you to get a cheap voltage meter you can sit and watch while playing music, like this one, which not only shows you the AC voltage but the Neutral to ground voltage, in other words, tests if you have a bad neutral:

@jerryg123 Said!

VD Problem?

Go to the Free Clinic.

I agree I went to the McIntosh free Clinic and got cured.😁

Mike

@erik_squires

What you can control:

1. Reduce other loads on the circuit such as the lights by switching to LED types
  2. Ensure all the connections between the breaker panel and lights are tight
  3. Run the audio on a dedicated circuit
  4. Run a thicker gauge wire to the circuit
  5. Ensure you don’t have excess voltage on the neutral. Shouldn’t ever measure more than a couple of volts.

My earlier post referred to the house having, say, a 40A feed from the pole.
In that case the audio circuit, the light circuit, and the washing machine, stove and refrigerator circuit could be pulling near the 40A and the voltage would be sagged at the feed-bar in the service box.

So I would be checking the voltage on the audio circuit, and on a non audio circuit.

So your list is good IME, just IMO, it is missing the stuff outside of the audio only circuit.

Points #1 and #3 sort of imply the parallel circuits that I mentioned… especially #3. But I am not 100% sure?

here's an update I just found out from audioquest themselves that they do not use OCC single crystal wire they are using OFHC, which is very inferior to OCC single crystal wire and overcharging and ripping people off with their high-end priced cables.