Powered speakers show audiophiles are confused

17 of 23 speakers in my studio and home theater systems are internally powered. My studio system is all Genelec and sounds very accurate. I know the best new concert and studio speakers are internally powered there are great technical reasons to design a speaker and an amp synergistically, this concept is much more important to sound quality than the vibration systems we often buy. How can an audiophile justify a vibration system of any sort with this in mind.

128x128donavabdear

This topic of active speakers and confusion is not new, maybe that's why I wasn't offended by it. This is not the first thread to discuss this "perceived" confusion and it won't be the last I am sure. For example, ten pages of posts on same over at headfi:

Please don't shoot the messenger on his first post.  I appreciate Brian's music, but there is a glaring incongruity in his position that I am surprised all the experts here have not noticed.

The MMThree / MMThree Exact is an active speaker. It has a built in 1000W amplifier to drive the woofers. The more astute will take note of the -3db point. 10Hz. The only way to do that with a box that small, small for 10Hz, is with an active system that increases the drive to the woofer as the frequency drops like many subwoofers do. Frequency correction is active speaker basics.

There is another incongruity that is pretty obvious, but this crowd is harsh, so I will let them figure it out on their own.

Post removed 

@thespeakerdude , welcome to the forum +1 on your first post. I didn’t notice this was an active speaker, I looked at the micro-ones and didn’t check these, good catch. I did notice an incongruity that Brian has an all analog system that is integrated by DSP using the Trinnov. That is a head scratcher, and it seems that DIGITAL signal processing is an essential component of an all ANALOG system.

Now, I can’t argue the point because I don’t have any experience with Trinnov but it does seem that it isn’t true analog, is that what you were referring to?

It did have me checking prices on Trinnov processors though as well as Evolution micro-ones, it brings this setup within the grasp of a consumer if they want to go that route. Trinnov piece around $20K and Evolution Micro-Ones around $5K a pair. I have no idea what Allnic amps cost though. So I can't say this would be an all analog Home Theater but I guess it is about as close as you can get to a similar setup.

@steakster , I agree, but confusion is a close second :)