Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Congratulations Sandro! Just fasten your seatbelt, keep your hands and feet inside the car at all times and enjoy the ride! You are in for a real treat!
Kclone,

Did you check the rectifier(5AR4) tube yet? Maybe it is bad and the ripple coming from the output are huge and cannot be filtered by the regulators anymore.

Or have you tried connecting it to the wall outlet and not through the PS audio?

In my experienced, instantaneous or premature power shutdown are the worst enemy of rectifier tubes.

Just my opinion of course!

Abe
I received my new Cabernet one month ago. Mine is also the PX4/300B version. So far I can tell that the sound seems to be a little cleaner with the PX4 (TJ) then with the Western Electric 300B but I´ll check it again in one more month or so.
Ecclectique, there is a difference with the Syrah. Of course it can´t be a huge difference but big enough to pay the $5000 tag in my opinion. I don´t know about the phono section, just about the line. The sound compared with the Syrah is more clear, clean or whatever you want to define it in that direction. More presence but nacing aggressive.

I have my Syrah with all those NOS tubes that at the end seems to me the best ones: WE 350B, Tung Sol 6SN7 round plates, Mullard or Philips metal base GZ34. Even with all these expensive tubes in the Syrah the Cabernet has more emotion, more music just with the stock ones. Sorry but I can´t express myself better.
After the first week I tried the Cab with all those nos tubes and I don´t know why but the sound, so far, is better with the stock ones. Again I´ll try the nos tubes in the Cab in one more month.

David, if you can afford it I would keep the Syrah. Use it for a second system, you´ll never get something like that for that price. Besides you can use part of the same tubes (350B, 6SN7, and GZ34) in both preamps.
But in my humble opinion the Cab is worthwhile if you want to get the most of your system. I never sell neather of them.
A final recommendation for the ones that are looking for an exellent cd player, take a look to the Cary CD 303/300, it makes a terrific combination with any of the Supratek preamps.
Salud, Juan.
HELP!
Don't have time to read the whole thread.
Bought a Syrah which I love but the phono tubes (whichever they mey be) are way too noisy for me.
Have it set on lowest gain and still getting storms of rubbish thru the phono at conservative volume.
It's kitted out with all sorts of NOS tubes and my limited experience of tubes lead to me to think I'll have to buy at least three pairs before I get a 'quiet' pair - which though?
Thanks in advance,
Simon
Amandarae, All of the tubes seemed to be working. I have since pulled it out of the system and put another preamp in. I will wait a couple of weeks and try and tackle the problem. Thanks for the input. I will try plugging it into the wall at that time to see what happens