PREAMPLIFIER UPGRADE QUESTION

My system consists of the following:

1. Martin Logan Impressions 11A

2. Rogue RP-1 preamplifier

3. Lumin U@ mini streamer with Chord Qutest DAC.

4. Bryston 4B3 Cubed power amplifier

I just purchased the Bryston amplifier and it has brought my speakers to life. From dull and listless to vibrant and alive.

I would like to upgrade my preamp and my three choices are as follows:

1. Rogue Audio RP-9-tubes

2. Bryston BR-19 which is fully balanced.

3. Conrad Johnson ET6 or ET6SE

My cables are Cardas Clear Cygnus

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

128x128kjl1065

@kjl1065 If you are planning a balanced line preamp, its a good idea to ask if the balanced preamp supports the balanced standard, AES48. The reason this is important is the balanced line system has several goals amoung which are elimination of ground loops and elimination of interconnect cable artifact. For the latter, if you've ever auditioned cables and heard a difference, that is what I'm talking about. Imagine not having to worry about cables again...

These two benefits are lost if the balanced line standard is not supported by the preamp. Most balanced preamps I've seen don't support it; I think the reason is to reduce cost, or else the manufacturer may not be aware that there is a standard.

Thank you for al your responses. I have narrowed down my preamp choices to the Bryston BP-19 and the Rogue RP-9. My dealer sells both and I am looking hear them together. The rest of my system consists of a Bryston 4b-3 cubed power amp, Chord q test dac, Lumen U2-mini streamer and a pair of Martin Logan Impression 9 loudspeakers. My preamp is the Rogue RP-1 (entry level)  Will either of the 2 preamps that I am considering be a substantial improvement over the Rogue RP-1. I am seeking a substantial improvement due to the high cost of the remaining 2 preamps. I am sure that there may be better preamps out there that my dealer does not carry, but I wish to continue working with him because his advice, service and integrity is a tough combination to find.

I second the recommendation for BAT. Amazing sound, built like a tank, and great customer service.