"Best" DAC for a grand or less

I am looking for a DAC for under a grand . I want something to favor the bass side ,as now my system is a bit on the bright side.I would like it to have a usb port also.My system now is......
Hafler pre amp
Counterpoint solid 1a amp (100 watts)
Nad 515 cd player
Tekton Lore speakers
Thanks.
cwazz
There is no possible audible improvement over the DAC1
Is this statement to be taken seriously or is this guy just trying to add some humor? Have we returned to the days of choosing a product solely on electronic instrument measurements? Thank you Mr. Hirsch.

For $400-600, a favorite DAC of mine over the years is the Counterpoint DA10. This is an extraordinary product that outperformed others that I owned at higher cost. I sold it when I got the Manley and VTL Reference DACs. I regretted selling the DA10 and thus bought another as part of a second system. Look for one with the UltraAnalog chip as this was the chipset used in all the great DACs in the mid-late 90s.

Another favorite DAC is the Classe DAC1. This typically runs in the $900-1100 range. And no surprise, it also uses the UltraAnalog chip.
I had a Benchmark home for a few weeks (the HDR version, so a pretty recent model). Maybe it's the accuracy that I couldn't take. I found it too lean and the highs somewhat dry and -- for want of a better term -- squeaky. (I can hear Jack Nicholson screaming, "You can't handle the truth!")

I would have been using it to feed a BAT VK-250SE at the time.

I'm currently using a Neko D100.
how about refining the question to include only tubed dacs under $1000. The minimax is one. i own it.

the paradisea is another. any others ?
A Benchmark DAC1 could be your answer. I've heard, and have had, many dacs and love the Benchmark, as do numerous pro and audiophile reviewers. Use a good source and a fine digital cable, add an upscale power cord and use a power conditioner, and you will be rewarded with outstanding results.

I've heard many DACs at $1k and under. Not all, but many. I chose the Rega DAC. It was easily the best DAC I've heard in that range. Contrary to what was said about it earlier, it does NOT have XLR - in or out. Someone in another thread mentioned high-res through USB. Doesn't do that either. It does high-res through coax and optical though.

I owned the Rega Apollo and looked for a $1k DAC that would beat it for a long time. No surprise that the Rega DAC does everything the Apollo did, but on a higher level across the board. I haven't owned a Saturn and didn't hear the DAC and Saturn side by side, but by all reports the DAC is equal to it. A little different, but equal in quality of sound.

The Rega DAC isn't the most detailed DAC out there. It won't knock down the walls and ceiling in soundstaging. It does an average to above average job with that stuff. What it does best is make sense out of music. Call it PRaT or whatever you will. Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing is a great song, but sonically it's a mess. Sounds jumbled and thrown together. Not so with the Rega DAC in my system. I had to listen to it 3 times in a row the first time I heard it through the DAC, because I've never heard it sound so good. The DAC sounds like a great turntable to my ears. Not some warmed over and overly smooth turntable, but a great turntable without the pops, clicks, and groove distortion.

The Benchmark DACs are excellent IMO. They just sound too thin, lean, and a bit bleached to my ears.

The Arcam rDAC is great for the money. I don't think there's any competition for it at it's price. But it's no where near as good as the Rega DAC. Heard them side by side when I bought the Rega. If my budget wouldn't go past the rDAC's price, I'd very happily own it. Far better than the DAC Magic and V-DAC IMO.

The Simaudio D100 is excellent too. I briefly heard it, so no long opinion of it. It didn't do anything wrong, and was very musical. Definitely worth looking into IMO.

Just some thoughts. I haven't heard any tube DACs. I stay far away from tubes, as my OCD wouldn't get along with constantly wanting to try new tubes and wonder how much tube life is left.