"God Bless the Child" on Idol?

Anyone catch Jacob Lusk's performance of this Billie Holiday classic last night on American Idol?

It was truly one of the most earth shattering performances I've ever seen on the show.

BH herself would have been proud.

Can't wait to hear what this guy does next.

There seems to be a fair abundance of real musical talent on Idol this year so far it seems!
128x128mapman
I agree that there are a few standouts that show some real promise. I believe that some choices in the top 25 will be for drama or human interest stories.

Let us not forget that this is an ENTERTAINMENT program that exists to generate ad revenue for the network and viewer ratings which sets ad rates. The fact that they find talent is a by product. This will become evident as the weeks progress and you see how the performers are portrayed by creative editing and promo's showing things that have been taken out of context and used to generate more viewers and it will have very little to do with the actual talent of whom-ever they are focusing on.

They did the same thing last year and it was very sad to watch. I think that is why Simon left before the show really took a dive into TMZ/Inside Edition territory.(CRAP TV) I believe the ratings were the lowest ever last year. I hope that the show will focus more on the music and talent and not the "Reality TV" trainwreck everyone wants to watch.
After reading this post I checked out his performance.
Incredible voice and passion. The young lad has mad chops.
Given the right guidance I'd have to think his chances for a career in music should be good. Almost would be waste to see him get pipelined in pop. Blues and jazz is his bag. I'd gladly give up all my audio gear, cds, albums, and right arm for a voice like that.
I had to check it out for myself before posting an opinion.Which in all do respect I'm glad I did after my first cup of coffee.My suspicion were correct before hearing and right.listening to his performance I knew I would tire easily for a long period of time{half hour at best and that would be a stretch}I should think that most would. I am not, and please under stand putting this young man down for what could have been a better if not a more brilliant performance. That is why BH did not sing God bless this way. The song with lyrics do not call for this type of vocal out burst. This type of singing and like so many singer's that permeate the airways should be put into a class by it self and all shipped off to the school of vocal hysterics. Sinatra said, that a singer needs to understand what he/she is singing and color to lyric's accordingly.Most singers need just listen to the great Nat Cole to understand vocal reflection and the grafting of lyrics in order to tell a story.
I won't say his performance was perfect by any stretch or that it was not somewhat over the top. After all the kid is a kid and a rank amateur at this point.

However, he was auditioning to demonstrate what he is capable of, and he put everything into doing that and the results were eye opening and demonstrated his huge potential.

Like I said, I can't wait to see where he goes from here.

It also appeared to me that the lyrical content of teh song he sang had to be a big part of his motivation while performing and his reaction afterwards.

I need to get my son to read the lyrics to GBTC.

Interesting stuff.
First, let me say that this was the best performance I have seen on Idol in ten years (second was Fantasia Barrino's Summertime).

Second, Schipo / samual, you could not be more wrong. Obviously, the lyrics had a deep personal meaning to this kid. No one sings himself to tears, just for dramatic impact. He was singing about himself whereas BH was singing about some other "child". Different context, different song, different art. Everything he did with the song was sincere, heartfelt and genuine self expression.