Recommendations for a phono stage: Gold Note turntable w/ MC cartridge to ARi50.

I'm seeking some suggestions for a phono preamp to connect a Gold Note Giglio turntable w/ Donatello Red MC cartridge to an Audio Research i50 amplifier. ARC has a phono stage module for I think 750 -1000 but I don't listen to much vinyl and don't really want to spend that much. I'm looking to spend approx $500. Any thoughts on this from the members are greatly appreciated.

maholl50

You might have to search / wait a bit to find one under $750 but even if you had to go for an older model try and see if you can audition a Whest phonostage.  If you go to the Whest Audio site and look at the testimonials you will see many positive comparisons to some of the stages discussed.
I would also say that since I have had mine (and I started with a pre-loved) the amount of Vinyl I have listened too increased significantly because of the level of performance.  So might be worth an audition of a new entry level one, which is (in the UK) around the same price as a PH-5 and compare it to the Goldnote / others. But warning, you might find your vinyl spend goes up and many Whest users decide as I did to upgrade.  Don’t assume that because the higher end models are in the high £16K range that the entry levels will be ‘basic’ performance. I’ve tried a £1k against £3k+ of some other manufacturers models and it wiped the floor with them. I have seen second hand older models such as the 0.20 that were $2.5k+ new in the US go for $750 or less and non SE 30s go for £1k. The new £1k entry level ones have now got the performance the £2k ones had a decade ago because they cascade down the technology.  The owner James Henriot started out as a BBC Studio engineer and has done production work for many musicians including Herbie Hancock.  They also do have refurbished with guarantees models on their website, though these go quickly, but if you liked a demo you could email and ask to be notified if they have entry level trade ins.

@maholl50 

Noting it is above the top of your budget. But in line with my comment on 2nd hand Whest stages there is a Whest 2.2 discrete (current new over $2k) going for $1195 on US Audio Mart. If you did not get on with it the likely 'loss' on resale could be much less than 2 or 3 iterations of getting anywhere near what this can do.