ReL Subs: High Level or Low Level connection

Good morning,

I have Rel S510 x2 in my system

Currently using Hi Level connection to my Pass Labs Int-60.

Had a conversation with a learned individual who feels very strongly that I should be using Low Level instead. Just Get the sun out of where the speakers are connected to the Amp

Any thoughts out there?

Thank you

128x128phishhhhh4

Hi @veerossi

i found the Baseline Blue cables to be fine for sub high level connections.  I have nice cables everywhere, but do find the sub cables the least impactful.  I certainly looked at other options, but I have one long run of 30’ under the floor and across the room, and never felt the need to upgrade more. I am sure you can make better cables with nice copper wire.  Understand your connections first as you may likely only need two wires vs the three in a REL wire.

My Rel 812's work quite well with the Audion Mk3's using the high level connections. The Audions let me evaluate sub settings more accurately than did my tube amps.

Thanks for this info @fastfreight. I concur: sub cables are the least impactful. Yes, I’m using only 2 wires on each sub. Using all 3 was far too much.

If you could go back, would you spend the money on the Baseline Blue again?

Hi again @veerossi.  I would get them again, it makes me feel better!  And due to the long run the larger wire is probably a good idea.  I have some extra ones if you are interested pm me!

I have researched the high level option for driving subwoofers and according to Paul McGowen there is virtually no impact on the performance on the amplifiers when driving the subwoofer's high level inputs.  According to him the impedance of the high level inputs to the sub are so high that there is no impact on the performance of the amp.