Rumors of CD Demise Exagerated? New Hegel

A few years ago ago Hegel issued “The Mohican”, proclaiming the name was chosen because CD was a dying format and that this would be the the last CDP that one would ever have to acquire. They have now issued a new player, of which I read the review in Hi Fi News.  I forgot what they actually named it, but the reviewer waggishly suggested they name it Lazarus, as the format may be arising from the dead.

If anyone has actually heard the player, I would be interested in their impressions.
  Other manufacturers such as Denon have also released “statement “ players recently.

Otherwise, does anyone think that this is a stay of execution for the format?  

mahler123

I have it from many reliable sources, that there are many homes with a nice shelf of new records, but no turntable...like those old dens lined with hundreds of never read books...

I prefer inserting a cd and listening to the MUSIC of my favorite artists.....Streaming tends to be a "Bounce around" affair with listening to a half song of this and a half song of another artist and 15 seconds of another artist that I just discovered that I don’t like their music.....It’s not enjoyable to me. too much herky jerky. The newest thing is not always the best thing for everybody.

Recorded music has only been around for about 120 years and each of these was the dominant format at one time or another: 78s, LPs & 45s, cassettes, CDs, downloadable digital files, digital streams. Reel to reel tape and Hi8 digital tape were also niche audiophile formats at one time. In the past couple of decades, when downloads of individual songs became available and artists and consumers began moaning, I had to remind them that for pop music "singles," ie 45s, were the dominant format for buying music before LPs rose in popularity. As a teen in the 60s and 70s, one went to the record store to chat up the staff and buy your music one song at a time. My sister and I had to save our allowance to buy "Meet the Beatles," our first LP. The one advantage to being old is recognizing that trends just put on new outfits and emerge again.

“Streaming tends to be a "Bounce around" affair ”
That sounds like a user issue than the medium…lol. I have over 100 playlists in Qobuz that renders hours of nonstop listening. If you don’t like a song, skip and cue to next. For $12.99 a month, I love having access to music library that I can never imagine hoarding on any physical media. 

Lalitk I agree with you. If I don’t have collections of SACDs   Xrcd s, HDCds , and redbook audiophile cd, Streaming will be perfect. I have good vynil selections as well. So Iam happy for what I have,Iam glad streaming is onother options every audiophile can have nowadays.