SACD Player--Finally

I finally have done it. Get my new multi player next week. I have oodles of cds. I'm a jazzman, but listen to everyting from Mozart to Kitaro. What SACDs must I have? From your first hand listening experience which SACDs were a true step above redbook? Help get me started..thanks in advance. peace, warren :)
128x128warrenh
Two SACD's I think are standouts are Beck, "Sea Change" and The Dave Brubeck Quartet, "Time Out."
Warren: If you ordered Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" why not also try "Kamakiriad". I like it even more... Maybe you will too.

Also, I believe Fagen's new release, later this month, entitled "Morph the Cat" will also be released on DVD-Audio.
Most recent DVD-A's have an independent stereo track which is generally (always?) found in a separate "Group" in DVD-A-ese. Switching "Groups" can require hook-up to a TV screen. My Panasonic lets me do it without a television; my Pioneer requires the TV to navigate. As a pure audiophile, I find it annoying to have to turn on a TV to listen to music.

For discs that do not have a dedicated stereo track the player will do its own mixdown into two channels.

I consider SACDs and DVD-As to be of similar quality. Any difference is dwarfed by differences in the recording/engineering/mastering from one disc to the next.

My SACD collection is much greater than my DVD-A collection, as I listen primarily to classical and jazz.

In jazz, I would try to track down Mingus Ah-Um. There's some great Bill Evans with Scot LeFaro, Chet Baker - Chet. And "Time Out." Lots of Miles, although by this point there have been so many reissues of "Kind of Blue" and some of the other classics I don't think you can ever get any consensus on which sounds best.

Classical is the mother lode. Try some of the Red Seal releases They're almost all good - and budget priced. The new favorite is the Morton Gould/Aaron Copland disk, but don't miss the Reiner /Bartok Concerto for Orchesta and Scheherezade (sp?).

And speaking of new favories, the Alison Krauss disks are spectacular, especially the live one.
Having listened to only three of the SACDs I own, I'm so (purchased them weeks ago as they came up on Ebay) impressed with the sound that I'd love to snap my fingers and turn all my Redbooks into SACDs. Not vinyl, but the closet any digital in my rig has gotten. Since I am a tyro at the SACD game, I have read that many SACDs are no great shake. It appears that an SACD is no guarantee of wonderful sound. I'm just lucky with my three, I suppose. Thanks for the tips. I'll check some of those babies out. BTW anyone have experience with the SACD Kind of Blue?

warren
Cannonball Adderly quintet Live in San Francisco - Anyting by Bill Evans -- Kind of Blue, of course -- In a Silent Way.