Separate DAC or continue using the Oppo UDP-205

Hello,

I have all my music on a hard drive in FLAC.
I am a using Sonos Connect, Optically connected to the Oppo. From the Oppo (RCA'S out) to a Primaluna Dialogue     Preamp. The Amps are 2 Primaluna HP's. Martin Logan Theos speakers. I have rolled mostly all the tubes, and absolutely love the sound. Family and friends also love the sound.

My question is, Should I continue going through the Oppo, or should I get a separate DAC? Nothing to crazy in price.
I have seen these things go for thousands, and thats fine if you can swing it. I was thinking around a $1000.
But, would it change the sound or would it pretty much be the same? In other words, is the Oppo that good at what it does?

Since we are always tweaking our systems to make them sound better, I thought I would ask all of you first, before calling the salesman. I also have thought about  getting a turntable. But I gave away all my albums many years ago.
Buying a turntable, buying albums, taking care of all that stuff. Not really what I had in mind. I would like to keep it fun, and simple.

Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xloganfan
Hi Loganfan. I think the Sonos is the weak link in your chain. Oppos are known for their very good DAC’s and are audiophile grade components where as the Sonos Connect is a mass market consumer grade product and are not known for High fidelity sound. "Wyred 4 Sound" sells a modified Sonos Connect that sounds much better than the stock version but there are newer and better "audiophile" products that you should look at. I’m sure you will get many good suggestions here soon.

I think you would have to spend more than $1000. on an out board DAC to much improve on the OPPO. Also don’t be afraid to shop used for a DAC. Digital is evolving very rapidly and this is very good for used prices of older gear.
I can recommend the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 Very solid full featured DAC. It’s a few years old now but sold new for $1500. and sells for $500. - $600. used. Several are available currently. Check the reviews. They are up gradable to newer versions as well including current top of the line. Excellent value! http://https//wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/dac-2v2-series

Good luck.
You can connect the hard drive directly to Oppo 205 USB3 ports (behind), then use Oppo Media Control app to select and play music files.  This method means you don't have to spend at all.

Oppo 205 DAC is very good.  If you want to play music files up to the maximum rates supported by Oppo 205 DAC (PCM 768k, DSD 512), consider buying/building a streamer without built-in DAC; then connect the streamer to Oppo 205 using a good USB cable.
I'm not sure how or why you're using the sonos instead of connecting the hard drive to the oppo and connecting the oppo to the primaluna.

I haven't heard the DAC in the 205, but have a 203 and 105D and used to have their headphone amp/dac. They have pretty good DACs. To me they are more "digital" sounding and less detailed than some others. 

A MHDT Orchid is a little more than your budget, but will sound less digital and will be detailed and neutral. To me, that would be a nice upgrade. It won't make a night and day difference, but will be easier to listen to and more "natural" sounding. 

I have a W4S DAC 2 and it is my least favorite of all the ones I've owned. 

Try getting the sonos out of the chain and see how you like the sound. If you still think you might want to upgrade, what do you hope to get from the upgrade?