Shop in Pittsburgh? Want to listen to 845 amp.

Hello,

I've been in Pittsburgh for a year now and haven't stumbled across any high-end shops, and have yet to see any advertise online. There's has to be at least one, doesn't there?

I'm someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Specifically want to check out the 845 sound. Thanks.
angaria

Showing 4 responses by elevick

It's tough around here.
Listening Post in Shadyside sometimes has some nice tube gear but usually not 845, 2A3 or similar SET amps. Last I saw was McCormack.
Let's make music in Shadyside will/can get anything. However, they usually only have top notch solid state on display.
Triangle on West Liberty has had some tubes but not much.
NAX.com, Northern Audio and Video sometime will have something by Rogue or similar. He knows his gear but doubtfully will have much for you.
There was a Sonic Frontiers dealer in North Hills (formerly Better Sound Concepts, owned by Al Tucker) and has changed names a few times. They may have some gear but I'm not sure. I believe they are on Rt. 19 in the shopping center across the street from the Mercedes and Acura dealers.

Hope that helps!
Otherwise, do what I do: TRAVEL (phila, cleveland, NYC...)
email me directly if you need more emfoods@yahoo.com
Almost forgot:
Online dealer in PGH is BritAudio or BritishAudio???
They are usually on/around audiogon. They are nice
and would arrange for a listening session even though
there is no real showroom.
Michael Kline still owns Let's Make Music. He has very nice taste, just not cheap. This guy will always stand behind what he sells.
He is right next door to the Listening Post.
Both of these are on S. Aiken at Walnut street in Shadyside. To find Shadyside, take 5th avenue away from CMU and Pitt for about 1 mile and turn left.

The upstairs place in Squirrel Hill is closed.
Howard Swimmer closed his shop in Squirrel Hill also. He now does only custom EXTREMELY high end theater.

Everything downtown has closed-Tasso Spanos still sells vintage gear from his stores out of his basement sometimes!

There are 2 nice stores on West Liberty Avenue (slightly south of downtown, 3 mi). Audio Junction is great but mainly mid-fi and theater. The other place, Triangle (I think) was matching $10K thiels with Adcom amps-tells you what they know.

Northern audio is buy at your own risk-I don't shop there.
Northeast of Pittsburgh (route 28) are Butches and Stereoland-OK but not high end.

Yeh, I miss working near the Stereo Exchange in NYC and living near Brookly Audio.......
Now that you are all feeling nostalgic, why won't anyone open a nice little store that buys/sells used gear? When Northern Audio Exchange did it, they made a bundle (they were just crooks).