should everyone just order emm?

i have levinson gear now, and it of course has been bested by
umteen transports and processors in the last 2-3 years. and now, without meitner, i may as well jump in a lake and swallow a snake. can the most rational fellow music lovers out there (no "asylum" cases please) explain how and why i/we should 1.go for any new major improvements NOW 2. wait for blue lasers(?) 3. buy more REDBOOK CD'S 4. clean off some of my old vinyl and relax to some leonard bernstein or some horowitz. 5. jump into the lake anyway having done all of the above. please advise. thanks so very much.
french_fries
Post removed 
Jtinn, I am not positive, but I believe that SACD's are converted to PCM. I presume that the DAX Discrete volume control succeeds so magnificently because of the massive oversampling.

I am pretty illiterate with regards to the technology so I will quote from the Audio Synthesis website directly.

"Oversampling for simplicity
In all of our audio designs we have always prioritised the simplicity of the analogue domain. Our world famous PASSION series of L-pad Vishay Bulk-Foil attenuators illustrate the importance of minimising analogue complexity to achieve essential levels of realism - otherwise lost forever by passage through the usual myriad of analogue components.

Here in DAX Discrete we have chosen to spend considerably more design effort in the digital domain including automatically oversampling the highest resolution 24 bit input data, up, to over 700kHz, in order to eliminate any active analogue electronics in the audio path. This achievement carries an expensive digital overhead - but the gains in emotional involvement are entirely priceless."

All I can say is that it works very well. In order for me to listen late into the evening I am forced to listen at very low volumes. I do not notice any loss of resolution when listening at these low volumes. I would love to compare the two units directly sometime. I will contact you privately within the next couple of months to see what can be arranged. Thanks for the offer.

Here is the link to the complete Audio Synthesis description for their product. It's pretty interesting reading.

Audio Synthesis DAX Discrete
Tvad, you know that I sold my DAC6, so you know my bias. Jonathan is correct that I use horns and SET, but wrong in his characterization of all horns. I do not lack high end or bottom end extension with my Murata super tweeters and substantial subwoofers. One of the elements that I value is sound stage realism and precision. A key element in my system in this regard is the H-Cat P12 line stage, which in my opinion as well as many others, is in another league than other line stage in terms of imaging.

If you want to set the benchmark of a 100 for the EMM for sound stage width and depth through the H-Cat in my system, I would have to say that the Exemplar is at least 150. Furthermore it has greater temperal accuracy and greater dynamics. It is greater realism of being present at the recording session that most caused me to praise the Exemplar. It was the Allen Wright units achievement of similar results to the EMM as well as the greater cost of the EMM that caused me to sell the EMM.

At its root you need to listen for your self to both these and the Reimyo and TEAC UX-1. I suspect you will agree with me as to which to buy.
Post removed