So sub or not to sub

A simple question:

Is adding a sub to an already-good two -channel system a sellout of sorts? My de Capo monitors are wonderfully kaleidoscopic, yet when I throw my ancient Velodyne CH-8 into the mix, I DO get that lower presence that the monitors just can't deliver.

I feel like I'm cheating, though. Like getting a truck with an automatic transition.

Thoughts on adding a sub?

s
128x128simao
I used the measurements and advice in the HK Whitepapers that Reynolds posted and placed my sub in the corner behind me, facing the monitors. Changed the music incredibly for the better. I set the low-pass crossover at around 60Hz and had to dial back the volume on the sub. But it sounds good.

My "listening room" (i.e. finished basement) is something like 10' by 14' with 7' ceilings, so I don't know how many nodes and standing waves and such there are, but I've been working on amateur room treatments - art canvases; strategically-placed potted plants; a lack of sharp corners - to try and get as much sound as I can.
FWIW, I also found that swapping the Electroharmonix 6922 tubes out of the pre-amp section of the LSA and replacing them with Amperex 7308's also tightened up the bass.
Subs are nowhere if you have good speakers however MAGICO is making the best subs the only ones i could live with.
I use a Paradigm Signature Servo sub. Nice thing about the Servo sub is that it permits close adjustment for phase alignment, x-over cut-off and loudness. Depending on my mood and planetary alignment, I fiddle with the controls.

Right now, I'm in a "less is more" mood. So, I turned down the loudness and cut back on frequency x-over to about 40 or 50 Hz. I even adjusted the phase alignment to attenuate bass at the x-over point just a tad to reduce what sounded like a bass resonance.

I agree with the comments above that the sub adds presence to the sonic presentation. It seems to enhance imaging and depth of field. The problem is the room. Nevertheless, it is highly unlikely that I would employ the methodologies used by Bo .... So I guess I'm holding where Wolf ... is.

Btw, the more current high-end Paradigm sub offering permit even closer bass adjustment with a built-in bass equalizer mike. One day, I may try that out.