SP10 Mk II vs Mk III

A couple of guys here were planning to do listening comparisons of the Technics SP10 Mk II vs the Mk III, in their own homes and systems. Has anyone actually completed such a comparison? I am wondering whether the "upgrade" to the Mk III is actually worth it in terms of audible differences between the two tables. Possibly mounting either table in a well done wooden or slate plinth mitigates any sonic differences that would otherwise be heard. I am thinking of Albert Porter and Mike Lavigne in particular, who were going to do the comparison. Thanks for any response.
lewm
As I posted I hear/heard several Sp-10s configurations in several different audio systems, including at least two-three SP-10s of the people that posted in this thread.

IMHO no one of those SP-10s can even the quality performance of a " naked " Sp-10.

Raul, this is why I get upset with you, making a comment like that with absolutely no foundation. It's obvious the comparison was aimed at my system and Steve Dobbins system since you were a guest at both of our homes.

How anyone can audition a system with everything different than yours, speakers, amps, cables, cartridge, room treatments and all the other variable. Add in the fact you traveled from another country, had a few hours to listen and without your own version or "mod" of the table is beyond me.

I've ask your advice on moving magnet cartridges since you have so much experience with them but when you post something so off the wall as you have, I begin to question your test methods and the validity of your opinion.

Based on what you've posted it appears Hiho is wrong, Kaneta is wrong, Steve Dobbins is wrong, Mike Lavigne is wrong and I'm wrong. Reminds me of Jimmy Durante dancing with the Radio City Rockettes when he looks into the crowd and says
"What do you know, they're all out of step but me."
Dear Lewm: There is no more plywood ( that was used to mount the tonearm but not anymore. ) and the AT footers are still there supporting the TT.

Now, what I'm saying is only that any one of you could try the " naked " alternative ( I know a " ugly " look but.... ) you don't lose almost nothing because you can go back of what you have today.

Anyway, I don't want to start any controversy about: it is only try it or not, you always are the best judge on your system performance.

Regards and enjoy the music,
raul.
Dear Hiho: I'm using the Audio Technica At-616 ( pneumatic. ), threee of them.

Raul.
Dear Albert: Like I say I don't want to argue about but you can be totally sure that I have answers to your questions/dude, one of that answers is that my audio system perception habilities/skills/tools are different from yours: I can make/hear things that you can't imagine and not because I'm something " special " NO it is only that my audio self " training " through many years ( this is a discipline by it self. ) give me that kind of shiklls like I'm sure you have skills on many other audio " areas " that I don't.

Now, I'm not saying that you or any one is wrong I'm saying just: try it and if you don't like it then come back where you are today, is so difficult to understand this?.

I'm only sharing with you an opportunity to improve ( or not ) what you have now: is it a " crime " to share my experiences about?, you have a dedicated thread on the SP-10 subject where you are doing the same: sharing experiences.

Now, maybe you don't want to try it: that is fine not all people likes to take the effort to " explore " alternatives but like with the MM/MI subject there are people that likes to " discover " what is all about.
Albert I'm a person that does not like to have to many " holes " in my audio knowledge so if I can " sealed " some of those ( many ) holes " exploring " about then I will do it.

IMHO I think is worth to try it.

I respect your opinion about the " validity " of my comments where there is a difference with your comment: I already try /hear/herad the naked alternative ( like the no-naked ones. )and you don't.

The " validity " of any one experiences are a very controversial subject but there are some cases where that " validity " is more easy to confront/appear, example: at least two person in this thread ( you are one of them ) make statements/comparison of two different TT's ( same cartridge and same system. ) where the tonearm was different for that comparisons: which is the " validity " of those comparisons? , IMHO almost no real/precise " validity " here due to that " heavy " difference in tonearm in each TT.

Could/can this means that both of you lose the " validity " on your opinions?, certainly not: the " validity " of each one opinion is a more in deep subject that that kind of " faulty " opinion/TT-comparison.

Please don't be up-set with what I post/posted elsewhere, you can be sure that that never is my attitude.

Raul.

Skills to pay the bills! That's what I'm talking about! do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight. Shioot 8^).

Anyhow enough silliness I have a sp10 mkII in the buff just hanging out, I guess I'll fire it up and see. It is slated for slate so it will be a nice comparison...that deserves another 8^)