Spades vs. Banana plugs ??

What's your preference and why?

Spades or banana plugs?

mabonn

Whoever said to use bare wire with the ends tinned together is one of the first methods  I used.  That said, four plus decades later I've tried everything from inexpensive solid copper nickel plated spades purchased at the hardware store to WBT expanding bananas.  My preferred lately but not married to them are a solid copper banana designed like the nickel bananas preferred by Linn, Naim and many British companies.  Can I hear a difference between any of them?  Not really.  I even experimented with different bananas with screw down connections to the wire on Tara Labs cable from three bucks a piece to Fifty dollars.  The Monoprice  Affinity Series 24k Gold Speaker Banana Plugs that Brent Butterworth recommends I think are a best buy.

Wireworld’s BFA bananas are my favorite termination of all time. They are low-mass (which for some reason consistently sounds better), have great spring retention and fit snugly in any binding post. I am not a fan of most Wireworld products but I do love the performance of their factory-terminated speaker cables. 

If one must use spades, the Kimber Postmaster spades are probably the best option available. 

@mitch2   a group of audiophiles (known for believing something as small as a power line fuse makes a large sonic difference) choose utility over conductivity

Just how conductive is a loose silver connection? Or a corroded copper connection? You should see a stranded copper cable which is mostly terminated by copper sulphate.

@terry9 - The observation was not about allowing your connections to become corroded, which is never a good thing, but rather the irony that a group who mostly believe that every small detail can significantly impact the sound of a system would select less conductive connectors because they were easier to use, a generalization of course.  However, another example would be audiophiles who would never dream of using typical OFC (at about 101% IACS) copper cables instead of cables made from OCC copper (at about 103% IACS).  Would they use connectors made from an alloy that is only 40-60% as conductive as copper?

However, as @mammothguy54 pointed out, some are likely using all copper bananas, which are less common but available at a higher price.