Spatial Audio Raven Preamp

Spatial is supposed to be shipping the first "wave" from pre orders of this preamplifier in May, does anyone have one on order? Was hoping to hear about it from AXPONA but I guess they were not there. It's on my list for future possibilities. It seems to check all my boxes if I need a preamp.

128x128fthompson251

They are custom-design Cinemag, optimized for our circuit. They are not off-the-shelf parts, which have bandwidth problems with the output impedance of the 6SN7.

The 6SN7 is one of the best tubes ever made, but is not easy to match with most transformers. That’s where Cinemag came in, who saw the 6SN7 as a fun challenge. Several prototypes later (design, computer model, build, measure, listen, and repeat the cycle), we arrived at the production models we’re using now.

The Khozmo volume control is also optimized for this preamp, with a different signal path than most preamps. The Raven is balanced throughout, from input to source selector to volume control to vacuum tube to output.

One nice thing about transformer coupled balanced construction is the risk of sending DC pulses to a delicate transistor power amp are greatly reduced. (Even when a transistor amp is switched off, a DC pulse of more than a few volts can damage the input transistors.)

P.S. How does the output transformer protect a power amp? First, there’s a 4.5 times step-down ratio, reducing unwanted transients by a similar ratio. Second, the circuit itself is balanced, instead of a single-ended cathode follower exposed to a hundred volts or more. Circuit balance is typically 3% or better, reducing potential transients by a similar amount (about 30 dB). Third, and most important, transformers can never pass DC, unless the windings themselves have failed. By contrast, capacitors may pass "leakage current" and gradually short out as they age (a well-known problem when restoring vintage electronics).

The Raven has delivered.  About to get it hooked up and do some listening. I'm not very good at describing audio playback, but I will do my best.  The preamp is absolutely beautiful!! My full system is below.

Lumin U1 Mini streamer

Audio Mirror Tubadour V DAC

Spatial Audio Raven preamp

D-Sonic m3a-1200s amp

DIY Gunned MMGs (have a set of the Caladans on order)

That’s great news!  What were you using for a preamp before that you will be comparing the sound to?

@jc4659 I was using Don Sachs preamp that had his last updates.  I sold it to partially fund the Raven purchase 

@terrapin77 

Yes, please let us know how the Raven mates with your system and your impressions.  It will help others get a data point on a new product that is finally reaching production after 2 years of development.  Spatial is starting to crank them out now.  They are all hand built and point to point wired and they do take time to build.  I believe they will have a 45 day return policy, with little or no restocking fee if you pay the shipping.  So I suppose one could try one relatively risk free.

I use one, and I find it is totally transparent, but I am totally biased:)

cheers,

Don