Speaker wire... Diy?

I am new to this, so please bare with me. I always thought 12 gauge speaker wire, bare on each end, was best. But there is Kimber, Nord, etc, that seem to be incrementally better! Can I buy the components and put together my own $17000 speaker wires? If so, where can they be purchased, and which are good enough to be used? Which terminations are best for sound? Which wire? Length? Guage? 
ddjr
Whoa, Daddy! All the big guns are showing up. Gosh, this is a little intimidating. Easy up, fellas. 😛
A lot of people misunderstand where the concept of cable directionality originated. It was with balanced cables in pro audio and broadcast applications. You see, the concept is all about preventing ground loops in shielding whilst maintaining effective protection from interference. A true shield can only be connected to one ground point else it be rendered ineffective by conducting current due to a ground loop. Cable directionality was always given as the direction of signal chain flow, from source to destination, with the source being the defacto ground for shield. 

Fast forward to unbalanced cabling used in consumer audio, we find fake shielding is the status quo. The cable aftermarket came up with the absurd notion that the signal-bearing shield could be used as the ground anchor point for another superfluous shield. Utter nonsense I say. Take a good quality Belden 1696 shielded twisted pair cable and use the twisted pair for the signal bearing conductors, and the shield, grounded at one end only (often the preamp chassis), as the true shield without compromising the signal bearing conductors. 
Dave_b

i May have missed it but what make of transparent cable are you using?