Spender classic 1/2 vs SP1

I am in the process of rejuvenating my 30 year old stereo system.  The foundation of which is a trusted pair of SP-1s which I bought back in 1988.  They have served me well, but are getting a little long in the tooth.  I am so used to the Spendor sound that I would like to stay in that lane.  I have auditioned Harbeth SHL 5's but found them a little weak in the bottom end.  It was suggested I check out the new classic 1/2 ; which based on online reviews seems somewhat mixed in its reception.  Has anyone any direct experience with the classic 1/2?  The other suggested speaker alternative ( given the SHL 5 brightness) was the Harbeth 30.2. Anyone have any thoughts ?
Thanks,
M Petrovicsky
mpomerantz
I’ve only heard the SP2/3R2 and it was instant love! As for the Chinese review, I used the Google translator...

@ roxy54: Are you talking about the old 1/2 with 2 tweeters or the new 3 way one?

I owned a set of SP1/2E speakers for a number of years. My understanding is with the newer R version, Spendor has yielded to the temptation to tweak their sound to a more modern "audiophile" sound and in the process lost some of the magic. 

I believe Robert E. Greene has a good review on this floating somewhere around on the Internet. 

In looking at the specs on the Classic 1/2 I do see that it is designed as a traditional 3-way vs. the 1/2e which is a 2.5 way essentially. Robert E. Greene does have a lot of great information on some of the earlier Spendor designs including the 1/2. One of the things he mentions is the main driver went from about 40 Hz to 3000 Hz (which I believe had it's origins in the Spencer Hughes designed BC-1), carrying most of the key frequencies with it which in his opinion gave it great coherence and transparency. From 3000 Hz to 13,000 Hz Spendor the signal was carried by a 1.5" tweeter, and above 13,000 Hz a 3/4" tweeter.
Here is a link to the Robert E. Greene article:

http://www.regonaudio.com/SpendorSP12Loudspeakers.html