Stack Audio-SmoothLAN Network Filter- WOW!

I just received this item that I purchased from Stack Audio after being impressed with the AUVA 100 Speaker footers.

For any of the Audio Streamers out there, my initial comment as to this item: The SmoothLAN Network Filter is WOW!

From first plug in, the soundstage deepened and widened immensely. How the heck this occurs is nothing short of amazing. I have tried many of the major brand ethernet filters, and some of them, maybe, did something. But not enough to keep them. I either sent them back or sold them. I did however keep an iFi Silencer unit.

My digital streaming consists of an EtherRegen sending out the signal via Fiber to my Lumin X1. I have the Stack Audio device going into the EtherRegen from the Modem.

And, since I have my Apple TV coming out of the EtherRegen it will be interesting to see if the Video improves.

Check out the review in EAR.

Stack Audio Smooth-LAN For Clean Streaming | The Ear (the-ear.net)

ozzy

128x128ozzy

@ozzy

On their web site .   : 1000mbps  capability on both side , 2nd SFP cage on side B , etc .

Therefore we now expect first shipment of EtherREGEN Gen2 will not take place until September 2024.

If , 100 mbps is the best for audio , I hope UpTone Audio will not take the 1000mbps road ....

The back to back Ethernet filters containing ferrites and caps are well established, so filtering on Ethernet lines is effective.

Conducted emissions are below 30MHz, above that frequency are your classic RF interference. I think you'd be unlucky for such a frequency to enter the copper bits of the Ethernet, the impedance is all wrong.

The case with the 20 screws can certainly keep the paths in, but won't radiate out. I wonder if plain Cat5 cable on the input 'will do' since screened Ethernet cables require a specific grounding scheme to be effective and ground loops are too common and difficult to solve. 

The supplied CAT7 would work since the shield in that cable connects directly to the SmoothLan filter, but beyond that to the source; maybe effective to remove the screen at the other end.

I've been using the DX ISO filters for some time cleaning up Ethernet, they work quite well and are half the price of the SmoothLan. Screened cables are not used in my network.

Still considering the SmoothLan, awaiting opinions from others.

The back to back Ethernet filters containing ferrites and caps are well established, so filtering on Ethernet lines is effective.

Well established to work by who? This it not IT networking, but audio. The ferrites not only will choke the signal by creating a magnetism effect, effecting not only the insulator and shield in the cable, but start to magnetise the connecting components. This is why no serious high end equipment uses ferrite chokes, only cheap stuff and the products by EE types who design by theory alone.

With all due respect, what audible effect ferrites have in an analog cable (signal or power) would not necessarily be consistent with how they may work with digital cables.

In the days of SDIF cables (and later USB), I noticed ferrite had the exact same effect as signal/power. And they are considered a digital signal, although possibly not the same type of digital signal as ethernet.