static buildup

Hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me with something that has been bothering me lately. I have a new music room and I am having problems with static build-up. Let me describe what I mean. It is particurally a problem with my record player. When I first begin to play a record it sounds fine, however as the music continues the distortion becomes more and more apparent. When I go to lift the arm I always get a big shock, one that is audible through the speakers. This also happens with my CD player only the audible effects are not detectable. Anyone have any ideas. I will admit I am new to this hobby so any help would be greatly appreciated.
ashsmith
I take it you have carpeted floors? If so, get a can of Static Guard and treat your carpet in front of your system. Uline also sells anti-static mats if you want to go that route. A zerostat gun would also be of benefit. I would also make it a practice to touch something metal to release any electrical charge before touching your tonearm. Those small electrical changes can't be good for your cartridge.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Steve
Hi, I have the same problem in my music room, a good humidifier has helped a whole lot. You can turn it down or off while listening. Hope this helps.
Post removed 
You may look at running a dedicated chassis ground to your outlet and use the wall plate screw not the plug in. just a thought.