Surge protection for amps?

I keep reading that we should plug our amps directly into the socket and skip conditioners. What about surge protection? Living here in FL has me nervous plugging my Halo amp and new KEF LS50 Wireless speakers directly into the wall. What's everyone doing for protection that doesn't effect sound negatively?
asahitoro
I would.  :)

Actually try this.  Plug your amps in. A week from now, plug then back directly into the wall. 

Best,

E
I live in a suburb of Memphis and when storms come through we get a lot of lightning where I am. I had an electrican hookup 2 surge protectors right at the panel , and I may be incorrect but think that my Blue Circle 6000 power conditioner also has protection in it - I have experienced no sound degradation
I use Furman Elite 20PFi that have very tight non-sacrificial under/over voltage protection.  In addition I have whole house surge protector at the panel.
Does anyone have access to any objective measurements showing surge protectors and/or power conditioners actually degrade the sound quality? There are also different approaches used in designing these components so some may be better than others.
Here is an interesting, affordable product that you plug into one side of your open duplex AC outlet while your amp (or another type of component) is plugged into the other AC opening, for surge protection of that outlet only.
Of course, you need to use one on each of the outlets you want to protect.
Blue Circle Audio makes it.
Called The Yalu Bulala
See pictures and an explanation below:
http://www.bluecircle.com/page95.html