SUT help

Hello all,

I've combed the forums and pretty much every SUT thread either devolves into arguments of the merits for/against, or gets hyper specific. I'm assuming to properly match a SUT, it needs to be selected based on the cartridge AND phono pre-amp. Since I haven't found a thread about my specific combo...here I am.

I don't know a TON about SUTs, but I'd like to experiment to see if adding one will enhance my experience.

Currently, my cartridge is a Hana ML and my phono pre-amp is the Modwright PH 9.0XT. I may possibly move up to the Hana Umami Red in the nearish future, but the specs are fairly similar between that and the ML.

Hana ML specs: 0.4mv; 7 ohm/1khz
Hana Umami Red specs: 0.4mv; 6 ohm/1khz

Modwright PH 9.0xt - MM input is 52db gain, with option to lower -6 and -12 to 46db and 40db.

I currently use the MC input which offers 64db of gain (-6, -12). I've typically kept it at 64db and alternate between 100ohm and 250ohm for load impedance settings. The 470 is too much.

--

Not sure if its possible to have a SUT that would work well with both the ML and umami red, but if so, I'm all ears. If not and they each need specific ones, I'd be considering the ML first and foremost.

Any help is appreciated. I don't really have any clue how to determine what ratio is best and whether copper or silver pair better with these cartridges. I had EM/IA recommended to me in the past, but their pricing is well beyond what I'd like to spend on one (~$1500 or less, ideally?)

128x128mmcgill829

Re atmasphere:  Key is the noise floor of the phono stage.  I have found that using a SKY SUT to bring the input to the phono stage at about 7mV works best to my ears in most cases.  Of course it depends on the quality of the phono stage.

@bobsdevices Our phono sections are designed to work with LOMC cartridges directly.

It seems where SUTs are best suited is if the phono section is designed for high output MM cartridges. That's always been their traditional use.

@atmasphere I was referring to your comment about using the least gain from the SUT the better.  That has not been my experience.  By the way, I am still using your line stage and love it.

@bobsdevices Thanks!

We occasionally run into customers who can't abide any phono noise despite the phono section being quieter (so inaudible) then the LP surfaces themselves. That kind of individual seems to value the noise floor over other characteristics. For them, SUTs are useful even though the phono section works quite well down to 0.2mV. So I think this is a different application than what you are describing- we found that the least amount of step up resulted in a more spacious soundstage, stuff like that. If the phono section has less gain this result might be quite different!

I have been following this thread with much interest as I too wonder if adding a SUT or other pre-phono stage device might improve the "realness" of the sound coming from my Whest 40RDT fed by a Benz Gullwing on a Basis 2000 table with a Rega RB900 arm or coming from an Electrocampaniet ECP 1 with a Hana ML or AT33Mono on a Technics 1200G (and other carts not yet tried). The discussion here has not yet resolved (for me) into a decision either way. Of course, I realize that trial-and-error governed by one’s own ears in one’s own room is usually the most recommended approach on these inspiring and insightful forums.

Nevertheless, not meaning to rattle a hornet’s nest, I was wondering what the much more expert audiophiles here might think of the Audiophiliac’s recent evaluation of three SUT solutions: