Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa

slaw
1,135 posts
05-22-2016 4:00pm
"geoffkait:,

"I trust you are not suggesting fuses DON’T experience break in"

I did not say that. It’s an issue that I just don’t recall reading about.

What I read the most, regarding the "instant" effect fuses have in one’s system, is just that, it somehow (instantly) transforms the sonic signature of a given component. I NEVER read that, say, upon, hours of listening, this fuse has gradually made my component better in upon hours of listening/break-in.

This may be the difference in our opinion."

That’s a little bit of an irony since I just made the comment the other day that when someone says he could find no mention of this or that it actually means he didn’t look or didn’t look in the right places. Let me give you a for instance. If you search this forum for the term "fuse break in" you will find 417 instances. I hate to judge before all the facts are in but I strongly suspect you will find what a you’re looking for among those 417 posts. I also have a feeling that many of those posts on the subject of fuse break in can be found on this very thread.

Cheers,

geoff kait

The OP wrote:..."there was an immediate improvement upon installation".

This statement alone was a verification of an immediate sonic improvement, without the benefit of further listening. However, the OP did go on to say that subtle improvements followed.

This is just (one) example of the "instant" effect, I base my posts on regarding this tweak.

I haven't researched this topic. I'm just posting on it regarding my current interest in it.

slaw
1,137 posts
05-22-2016 4:18pm
"The OP wrote:..."there was an immediate improvement upon installation".

This statement alone was a verification of an immediate sonic improvement, without the benefit of further listening. However, the OP did go on to say that subtle improvements followed."

This is just (one) example of the "instant" effect, I base my posts on regarding this tweak.Similar comments can be made for any wire, cable, power cord, speaker cables. That’s not inconsistent with the concept of break in. There is no reason why a fuse that is not broken in, brand new, cannot sound better than whatever fuse it replaced. Especially if the previous fuse was installed backwards. Ditto interconnects, which are also directional. I also believe you'll find comments vary considerably, so one person might call results AFTER fuse break in subtle whereas another might use the word, spectacular. Can you believe it, there are even people who don’t hear the effect of aftermarket fuses or directionality?
^^^^

"
Can you believe it, there are even people who don’t hear the effect of aftermarket fuses or directionality?"

Based on my experience with the SR Black fuses, I DO find it hard to believe. Very hard. I have to question what else is going on in their systems. 

On initial installation, the Blacks have it all over the Red fuses ... and the improvements are heard right off the bat after installation. That's not to say that there aren't problems. For example, there is some grain and a hard, non-musical edge initially until the fuse breaks in. BUT, one can clearly hear the blacker background, the additional air around instrument and the improved dynamics instantly. At 70-100 hours, the fuse seems to really open up and everything comes into serious focus and then the musicality hits you right between the eyes.  

For those who cannot hear the difference, or for those who are so convinced that these fuse upgrades cannot work and won't even try them ... Well ... I'm really happy that I am not you.  Why? Because the SR Black fuses have completely transformed my system into something unbelievable. My audiophile friends say the same thing every time they come over for a listening session. And I can assure everyone reading this that the system was no slouch prior to my first experiment with the fuses that started this entire thread. 

OP