Natural Progression NP-220
BAT VK-250

Column B - Speakers

Focus Audio FS-688
Focus Audio FS-788
Reference 3a Dulcet
Harmonic Precision Caravelle
Cliffhanger Bulldog

Sold everything I had. Would like to start over. Will choose source and control based on which combination proves to be the best match. Like black silences, warm sound, tonal accuracy, soundstage, holographic imaging, immediacy and don't like sounds just "disappearing as fast as they materialize" i prefer it to leave my ears a bit slower then the time it takes to show up...don't know how to explain, anyway, please help, can't audition them all...

Oh, and I don't think I'll be upgrading them, ever. I still need to get maybe an EMM Labs DCC2,and a valve preamp somewhere down the line...Working for an NGO and I often use money out of my wallet to cover for budget inadequacies. Just want something special to come home to after a hard day's work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cagliostro
Can't afford the shipping? Hmmm. My Aerial 10Ts (about 350 lbs. boxed) shipped 1500 miles via UPS for about $200.

Regarding the BAT vk-500's performance? Like I said, that was 4 amps ago. That should tell you something.

If smaller speakers are your desire, then I'd give the Caravelles a serious listen. I heard them at THE Show last month and they are an impressive speaker.

If you don't need all the power of a DNA-2 Rev A amp, then one or two DNA-2 0.5 Rev. A amps could work just fine. For one thing, they weigh substantially less than a DNA-2 Rev. A.

-IMO
With regards to the Focus Audio speakers, both the FS688 and FS788 do like to work with a lot of power, so I wouldn't match them with the Clayton. Of those you've listed, I like the GamuT and BAT as good matches to Focus, and also think you could find what you're looking for with the Ayre. Have not been a big fan of the McCormack or Theta, and have not heard the rest on your list.

(note: I am a Focus Audio dealer).
Philnyc, perhaps you can share what you dislike about McCormack and Theta. And, how would you rate the bass on the Focus Audio?
Cagliostro,

It's not so much a dislike, but as you might be able to tell from my preferences for the GamuT and BAT, as well as my own gear (I own/sell Blue Circle gear), I do tend to like a warmer sound over analytical, and from my limited experience with McCormack and Theta, I have found them to be more analytical than warm.

As far as the bass on the Focus speakers, I think the FS688 has a surprising amount of bass for a speaker its size, although I would not say that it has as much as a good floorstander in its price range (~$3K). The FS788 has excellent bass when paired with an amp that can provide a better-than-average amount of current...it is not the deepest (only goes to 35hz), but it is seamlessly integrated throughout its entire frequency range, so you will get a very coherent sound with excellent speed and no boominess (the one exception is if you use a bi-wire jumper with uncharacteristically high inductance with a speaker cable that has low inductance). Much of the FS788's bass performance will also depend on the size of your room...it is best suited for rooms of less than 400sqft to get the optimal performance.

Hope this helps...