Tannoy Canterbury, KEF Reference 5, Fyne Vintage Twelve, SF Serafino

Hi guys,

So I currently have a setup with KEF R900 + NAD T758 + Musical Fidelity M6PRX amplifier and a KF92 sub. I also added a KEF center channel directly wired to the NAD (speakers are wired to the musical fidelity amp). 

I'm looking to upgrade as I'm moving to a new apartment soon. The space is 21x13 with a lot of glass windows and is assymetric shaped. 

A few questions:

1. Stick with a high quality 2 channel integrated amp like NAD M33, or worth upgrading the NAD to a higher quality AVR (and still using the musical fidelity m6prx for the speakers). I do enjoy the clarity of audio from the center channel when watching movies or Netflix. Also, feel given the room layout, a DIRAC might be helpful. 

2. I narrowed it down to four speakers - really based on reading reviews and aesthetics. Love the vintage Tannoy / Fyne look, but also love the SF aesthetic. KEF is different but also looks amazing - very clean looking for a NYC apartment. I'll try to listen to the sound before buying, but unsure if I'll be to demo all four. Any thoughts on speaker choice, esp given the assymetric room with lots of windows? 

Really appreciate the help! 

128x128kmalhotra

How do you feel about SF Serafino/Amati G5 vs Tannoy/Fyne. I have a hard time finding a Tannoy dealer here in NYC, but I'll keep looking.

Couldn't comment on the SF's - it's been ages since I heard one, and it wasn't at the level of what you're looking at. Beautiful speakers!

I wasn't sure if you were looking to buy used Tannoys - on new ones, the drivers have been made in China since 2020-ish. Cabinets made in ???. The Scotland factory was closed down. I haven't yet heard one of the China-made Prestige Tannoys. The prices didn't go down with this significant change in manufacture, either (you can get Kevin Deal's made in China scratch-and-dent leftovers at a *slight* discount). So honestly I'd stick to used Tannoys or new Fynes if going that route.

I have Kensingtons in a similar size room with one REL S/812.  I loved the Canterburys when demoed, but the dealer thought they might be a bit much for my room, though I must say they really energized the dealer’s listening room.  I often wonder…though I do love my Ks.  

I have Kensingtons in a similar size room with one REL S/812. I loved the Canterburys when demoed, but the dealer thought they might be a bit much for my room, though I must say they really energized the dealer’s listening room. I often wonder…though I do love my Ks.

@cantorgale Well it’s not so simple. Canterbury throws a bigger image with more energy for sure; very impressive. That said, the Kensington has its good points too. C’s sweet spot is rather small, probably because the 15" woofers are somewhat beaming at the crossover frequency. The smaller dual-concentrics seem to have a bigger sweet spot. On top of this, the K is particularly coherent and beautiful in midrange. In more modestly sized rooms, the K is a real banger. And you don't need to raise or tilt K up to get them at ear level. K even had me thinking Tannoy’s modern 10" alnico might even be the sweet spot for midrange - but then I heard the DC10A’s (supposedly with the SAME driver as K), and didn’t like it at all. Bright and aggressive...

I did the upgrade from K.SE to C.SE years ago. Then again to C.GR. Love my Canterbury’s - but miss the Kensington’s at times ;)

Also, the C.SE is a little on the dark side, and benefits from Super-Tweeters more than most (the Tannoy ST has very noticeable output in the audible treble range). This was rectified with the C.GR revision - they don’t need ST, IMO. Or if you do use them, you should dial them WAY down to the lowest settings. I couldn’t stomach K.SE w/ ST, unless the source was tape with some significant HF roll-off.

Tannoy was really wild with the different voicings across their models. Honestly that’s one point which gives me pause on exploring Fynes (besides their prices) - I look at those 700 and F1 series cabinets, and it makes me think of that DC10A.

@mulveling Thanks for a very thorough post. I’m sure you’re right re comparative sweet spots. I wasn’t able to A/B Ks and Cs at the same dealer. (Although I remember distinctly disliking the GRFs. Didn’t have that Tannoy midrange “magic” to me.). Met a Tannoy guy at AXPONA a few years ago. He suggested the smaller K driver was the “sweet spot” in the range. Consistent with your observation about K’s sweet midrange.

Interesting comment re STs also

All I know for certain is that my journey from Focal to Harbeth, back to Focal, then Rockport, and now Tannoy has me a confirmed fanboy for the Tannoy house sound