Tape Project Tapes

Does anyone here have a subscription to the TP tapes? If so tell me what you have and how you like it.
jsman
French Fries that may be a possiblity after I get my tapes, I could copy from one deck to another.
Gentleman,

I made the comment to Mepearson regarding buying 20 releases from TTP per year, if they could release them. It wasn't an off the cuff statement but re-enforcement of what happened after I heard the first TTP release on my Ampex 351-2 I bought new in 1958, or so. I have a high resolution system that showcased TTP recordings that to the point that Sue and I bought some high quality mikes and started out recording live music in Richmond, Va. The variety and venues are great here, and NOTHING sounds better than live music recorded on a pro machine with great mikes, Peluso 2247 SE's. It all began after we heard TTP releases and wanted more.

I'm sure Dan and crew knew there'd be rip offs but it's not as easy as ripping a $20 cd on a $500.00 computer.

If you have a pair of top Pro machines, Studer, or better yet, Ampex ATR machines, which TTP uses to dub the masters in IEC equalization, you'll get a copy from ? to ? The old adage said, " Garbage in, garbage out." Put your $75 bucks in the LP. Chances are the quality level of your tape machine will be close to that of your TT/ Cartridge so buying a dupe of a TTP release might be wasting your money.

On another note, the prices of RTR machines on ebay are going up; buy with caution or deal with TTP and get a machine that will deliver the music on the tape, or stick to LP; the most cost effective medium of all. I think I'll visit Goodwill tomorrow and see if I can score a find.

Ken
Whoops,I forgot to mention-

TTP uses 468 tape. If you buy 10 reels they cost about $45 each plus shipping. The reels are NAB but not as classy as TTP reels, plus the leather bound boxes are first class. THEY CAN'T BE MAKING MONEY ON THIS VENTURE, YET!

If you have a superior product you need to appeal to the top end of the market.

If you have a chance to hear their tapes on a system with all the correct audio acoutrements, you'll know what the engineer heard when the tape was originally recorded. After that, you'll know how much has been lost as we've escalated to the Ipod generation.

Thoughts from other RTR Gonners are appreciated

Ken
i still have to wonder if i was misunderstood- if they want to make some $Money$ they could offer 7.5ips dubs of their premium tapes that could be played on a teac, revox, akai, pioneer, sony, etc. which are far more affordable to alot more people than ampex-351's, studer 810's and 807's, etc. a 7-inch plastic reel of tape, cut from a pancake, would not be that expensive, and you could get 1800ft/45 minutes per side (or the half-track version if you have the right machine and prefer to play one side only). i'll bet you $50-$75 that it would sound wonderful. put me down for 4 CLASSICAL RELEASES for $240 please...
French_Fries, that's just the point. The Tape Project effort is not about making lots money. It's all about providing the highest fidelity playback possible without constraint and to share that result with the audiophile community. I'm sure the principals would like to recover their costs, but it's not about getting rich.
i still have to wonder if i was misunderstood- if they want to make some $Money$ they could offer 7.5ips dubs