Thank You Fumihiko Sugano and Koetsu

Reports are slowly circulating (WBF, FB Groups) that Fumihiko Sugano passed this August 21. He was the son of Koetsu founder Yoshiaki Sugano, and his chosen heir as the next Koetsu master cartridge builder - which he did brilliantly. Personally, I am grateful to the Sugano family for all the joy their products have brought me via my music collection. The Koetsu midrange magic is still unmatched by anything I've ever heard. 

Business continuity is unclear at this time. I don't know any real details - just surprised this hasn't been posted here yet. Hopefully this isn't another Transfiguration scenario. Either way, I'll carefully preserve and enjoy my Fumihiko Koetsu treasures for the full extent of our lifetimes. 

Thank you again Fumihiko! Godspeed.

128x128mulveling

Showing 2 responses by thr1961

Sad new indeed for this storied and magical company.  And with the future still unknown, I finally made the jump and ordered a Blue Lace, something that has been on my wish list for quite some time.  I was luckily able to find one available and it should be up and running by the end of the weekend.

Let’s hope that the future of Koetsu holds true to the past and that they continue to create new cartridges with the same beauty as in the past.

My Blue Lace is up and running as of today.  The change from the Rosewood Platinum is material, even in the first hours of use.  While that is a fine cartridge, the fullness and warmth it brings to Bill Evans’ “Waltz for Debbie” (the latest Craft re-issue) or my original pressing of Tracy Chapman, is easily heard.

I have begun experimenting with several SUTs, and am currrently favoring the CSPort.  I am also trying out an SA Lab, which has similar specs to the Koetsu SUT, but currently like the CSPort.  @mulveling  — I know you have tried a few different units and would be interested in your current favorite with the Blue Lace.