The best amp for $2k tube, solid state or hybrid

I want to purchase another amp. I've had GAS Ampzilla's, Melos MAT-180, Karan Acoustic KA-i180, a kit tube amp using dynaco st-70 transformers and UCD class D monos.

I am thinking Butler TBD 2250, Mark Levinson 27.5, Quicksilver V4, Rouge Audio M150, Llano Designs Trinity, Pass Labs X250.

I listen to 70's head/rock (ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd) and some Jazz. I have a Audio Mirror tubed preamp (model PP1) an NAD T-585 cd/sacd player, Maplenoll Cleo II turntable, ProAc One SC clones and Gemme Audio Tantos.

I want used and to stay under $2500.00 total. I want more of the HIFI sound then the audiophile sound. Sterile is not good for me. Bass must be excellant (Pass X250) and mids should be smooth, but maybe a bit forward. Detail is preferred too, but sound stage and instrument placement is a must. I want to feel the snare drum and hear the fade of the cymbal as well as make out the lowest notes of a pipe organ.

Maybe I am asking too much for my price? Please help with any amp recommendation you've experienced. I am leaning toward the Butler and Pass amps.
stereo
I have owned the 27.5 and had the Pass 250 in my system. It depends on your speakers but I loved the 250 bass but didn't care for the mids on my speakers which are Tyler Acoustics. Tylers are not bright at all but the 250 was fatiguing to my ears. Great bass and I have to say the best bass I have heard on my speakers. It better the Krell FPB-200 in bass. The 27.5 is a great amp with better mids and bass than the 27. Overall I liked it better than the 250 because it was not as sterile sounding. I chose to sell it and go with BAT. The 250 maybe a great match for less revealing speakers but I just didn't find it romantic or lush sounding at all. Of course this is my opinion. I have not heard the other amps you speak of but i would be interested in the Quicksilvers or Rogue. Tube bass is not as tight as solid state as you probably know but the mids and highs are wonderful.
The Butler 2250 sounds like a good match for you. There is a brand new in-the-box unit on Audiogon for $1900 - that is a whale of a deal on a very fine amp...I have a 5150 and I am thoroughly pleased with the sound, construction quality, and the look of the unit. The bass output is prodigious and the mids and highs exhibit that sweet tube goodness. BK Butler has really out-done himself with these amps...

Good Luck!

-RW-
Thanks for the replies.

I did some research on the Theta and there are some good reviews, most in a HT system. Some say the bass is great, but the mids could be better.

I have not considered the Cary 120s. There isn't much info on them from people who have them. There are a few on Audiogon for sale at a great price. I would like to get more peoples impression of it though.

The Pass X250 won't work for me if it is too sterile and audiophile like. I like a more lush sound too, but alive as well or more forward. Tube bass may be an issue. I like a little kick. I am still considering the 27.5.

This info brings me back to the Butler 2250. Price is right and it seems like the best of both worlds. I also like the option of the 12v turn on, just in case I want to incorporate it into my HT system some day.
if you can land a McCORMACK DNA-1 or monster amp DNA-2 with the revision A done by steve mccormack or chris jeter;it will blow away anything out there even up to the 10k price tag.i've seen DNA-1 WITH REV. A UNDER 2K AND DNA-2 around 2800.00.
best,
keith
For $2K, I'd think odyssey Extreme monos, used... or perhaps a Belles 350 given the reports I've seen online, and given what my Odyssey Stratos SE does with my tube preamp. I would also have thought that with a nice tube preamp, even the Krell entry level KAV 250 could be a good choice. The KAV has some mighty impressive bass. My only knock on it was the highs were bright. I was using a SS pre at the time with mine. Better results likely would be had with a tube pre though..... having heard and had both Odyssey & Krell, I'm a tad more interested now in the Belles. Purely from the curiosity aspect though.

If you want more the musical/warm amp, the BAT vk500 is a no brainer... especially with the BAT pack opt. I wish I still had that amp. With either SS or tube pre, it's outstanding.