The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions

For more information, you may want to contact the company.

Regards, G.

If they are using these EPC GaN transistors in this prototype, the only reason would be to be able to attain a far higher switching frequency speeds to 1.5mhz like Technics with the SE-R1. Can you point to a link where you saw this is stated??

Cheers George
Just found it, as yes they do state because of the GaN transistors  ""which allows fast switching"  but it puzzle me that they don't state how fast they switch at like Technics does at 1.5mhz. 
And just like the Technics not cheap either at $36k

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/1018/Merrill_Audio_Element_118_Monoblock_Amplif...

Cheers George
I encourage everyone to listen for yourselves.

While there are lots of fun puzzles left in the world of audio technology, solving them may or may not have appreciable benefit to end listeners.

That’s something only listening for yourself can decide.

Selling you a problem you didn’t have in the first place is what drives the industry.

The trouble with the Techniques amps is that  you can't attribute their sound just to 1 technology. This is a pretty remarkable amp, but there's also DSP speaker impedance correction going on. You cannot say "great amp, must be the super fast switching speeds" unless you can eliminate other variables.

Are fast transistors cool? Of course they are. But great Class D amps have been around for ages.

Yet here is George, standing outside an airport with a sign saying "Planes can't fly!"

Best,
E

George, Merrill is not so much interested in achieving high switching frequencies. He seems to be using GaN to reduce dead states.

BTW, here is the latest Merrill newsletter, where he talks about the Element 116, which he will sell for about $22K. a further trickle-down Element 114 will eventually retail for about $12K.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awhxdl5my0z4ycg/Press%20Release%20Merrill%20Audio%20Element%20116%20Advanc...

Saluti, G.

Post removed