The Match Test

Sharing an early “audiophile memory”:

During my later half of the 70’s college days, we had a simple litmus test for our stereo systems.  It was a pass/fail test. 
Step 1: Fire up your stereo.

Step 2: Clean side 2 of your Yes, Close to the Edge lp.

Step 3: Que up “And You and I: Cord of Life/Eclipse/The Preacher”.

Step 4: Lower the tonearm.

Step 5: Crank up the volume ( we were in painted cinderblock dorm rooms and didn’t care, plus our dorm buddies male and female were usually in there to enjoy the test).

Step 6: Just before Steve Howe finishes his amazing guitar intro, light a match.

Step 7: Hold the lit match a few inches in front of one of your woofers (grilles off).

Step 8: When Chris Squire plays his first thunderous bass notes; if your speakers blew out the match, You Passed, and your system was anointed as “Awesome” or “Wicked Good” a favorite phrase my Boston buddies used all the time!

I witnessed several systems that passed. Unfortunately, my Thorens TD-165 table sourced no name brand (but lifetime warranty) speakers with 15 inch woofers couldn’t quite get enough from my Marantz 30 w/ch 1030 integrated. It always gave the match flame a serious flicker, but never blew it out. 

My music tastes and approach for evaluating where and how I might approach an improvement/tweak have evolved over time, but we all had to start somewhere and its fun to think about the journey. 

ezstreams

Epic and thought provoking LP, but I'm more of a side 1 guy.

2nd side intro, definitely a 3d moment.

"I get up, I get down.. " crescendo-cue pipe organ. Stamper quality pressing mandatory.

Even though 50 years old, at appropriate volume still better than attending  any church mass.

Interesting example of the -- loud is good, but louder is better -- prime theory of my youthful listening years. 

In spite of that theory, I recall being blown away by the first pair of electrostatic speakers I heard in the 70's.  They were Janzen's.  These were the first speakers that provided the mid-range transparency that I was seeking but had never heard/found. 

However, the Janzen’s literally sparked when played loud, which meant they didn't come close to passing the manditory Match Test".🙂  Thus, I went on to purchase ESS Heil AMT3 (Rockmonitors).  Whether the Heil's dual-10" woofers in each speaker would have passed the Match Test I don't know.  

Nevertheless, I never forgot that inviting, lovely Janzen electrostatic sound.  Years later, when I learned that Dr. Roger West was involved with Janzen’s R&D, I headed in the direction of Roger’s SoundLab full -range electrostatic speakers and have never looked back.