The new Synergistic Research BLUE fuses ....

New SR BLUE fuse thread ...

I’ve replaced all 5 of the SR BLACK fuses in my system with the new SR BLUE fuses. Cold, out of the box, the BLUE fuses stomped the fully broken-in SR BLACKS in a big way. As good as the SR BLACK fuses were/are, especially in comparison with the SR RED fuses, SR has found another break-through in fuses.

1. Musicality ... The system is totally seamless at this point. Its as if there is no system in the room, only a wall to wall, front to back and floor to ceiling music presentation with true to life tonality from the various instruments.

2. Extension ... I’ve seemed to gain about an octave in low bass response. This has the effect of putting more meat on the bones of the instruments. Highs are very extended, breathing new life into my magic percussion recordings. Vibes, chimes, bells, and triangles positioned in the rear of the orchestra all have improved. I’ve experienced no roll-off of the highs what so ever with the new BLUE fuses. Just a more relaxed natural presentation.

3. Dynamics ... This is a huge improvement over the BLACK fuses. Piano and vibes fans ... this is fantastic.

I have a Japanese audiophile CD of Flamenco music ... the foot stomps on the stage, the hand clapping and the castanets are present like never before. Want to hear natural sounding castanets? Get the BLUE fuses.

4. Mid range ... Ha! Put on your favorite Ben Webster album ... and a pair of adult diapers. Play Chris Connor singing "All About Ronnie," its to die for.

Quick .... someone here HAS to buy this double album. Its a bargain at this price. Audiophile sound, excellent performance by the one and only Chris Connor. Yes, its mono ... but so what? Its so good you won’t miss the stereo effects. If you’re the lucky person who scores this album, please post your results here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRASONIC-CLEAN-The-Finest-Of-CHRIS-CONNOR-Bethlehem-Jazz-1975-NM-UNPLAYED-...

Overall impressions:

Where the RED fuses took about 20 hours to sound their best, and the BLACK fuses took upwards of 200 hours of total break-in, the BLUE fuses sounded really good right out of the box ... and that’s without doing anything about proper directional positioning. Not that the BLUE fuses don’t need breaking in, they do. The improvement continues through week three. Its a gradual break-in thing where each listening session is better than the last.

Everything I described above continues to break new ground in my system as the fuses continue breaking in. Quite honestly, I find it difficult to tear myself away from the system in order to get things done. Its truly been transformed into a magical music machine. With the expenditure of $150.00 and a 30 day return policy there’s really nothing to lose. In my system, its like upgrading to a better pre amp, amp, CD player or phono stage. Highly recommended.

Kudos to Ted Denney and the entire staff at SR. Amazing stuff, guys. :-)

Frank

PS: If you try the SR BLUE fuses, please post your results here. Seems the naysayers, the Debbie Downers and Negative Nellie’s have hijacked the original RED fuse thread. A pox on their houses and their Pioneer receivers.

Frank

128x128oregonpapa

teo,

"wolf, It is suggested that you don’t really know the mechanics or the electrical aspects of how a fuse works." I would guess that he has figured out that it melts?

"Those who do know how it works and what it does, owe you nothing." Does that mean that those of us who don’t know how it works owe him something?  I'm not paying.

I think it is reasonable to assume upgraded fuses won’t improve the SQ of all systems nor will they improve SQ at the same level in all systems. However this does not mean they won’t make a positive SQ change in some or even many systems.  
grannyring
I think it is reasonable to assume upgraded fuses won’t improve the SQ of all systems nor will they improve SQ at the same level in all systems. However this does not mean they won’t make a positive SQ change in some or even many systems.

>>>>I realize this is going to sound argumentative but what we’ve actually established is that there are between 50,000 and, say, 100,000 Happy Customers of aftermarket fuses in the past 15 years including those who bought used fuses. Most likely something is wrong somewhere in the system where negative results were obtained. The “dissatisfied customers” represent less than 1%. There is no reason to keep them on board. There is no reason to try to appease them. Or give them any credit. They are just extra weight. They are obviously outliers and their results can simply be thrown out. No more problem.

If thy eye offend thee pluck it out! 👀
It seems that it might be appropriate here for me to try to provide some answers to what I consider to be Wolfie’s legitimate question as to how fuse differences can affect sonics to an audibly significant degree. Why do I consider his question to be legitimate, and to be mostly unanswered at this point despite the countless discussions of fuse-related matters that have occurred in various threads here over the years? Four reasons:

1)Many of the purported explanations of the benefits that have been reported to be provided by expensive fuses amount to descriptions of their physical characteristics, and/or descriptions of how they were manufactured, but do not explain how those characteristics would affect the power supply circuitry and/or audio circuitry that is downstream of the fuse within the component, at least to an audibly significant degree and in a way that would be consistently beneficial.

2)Extensive sets of comparative measurements that have been provided in papers by HiFiTuning, that are sometimes cited as explanations, have been mostly debunked as explanations by me and others, such as noted amplifier designer Roger Modjeski. Generally that has been because the measured differences are far too small to account for the reported benefits, and/or are so small that they would be totally swamped by corresponding differences in the associated wiring and circuitry. (Although see item 2 below for a possible exception).

3)It is not unreasonable, IMO, to consider the high degree of consistency that has been reported for the reported benefits of SR and other expensive fuses, among components that perform completely different functions, that are completely different in design, that are used in completely different systems, that are powered by AC having very different voltage and noise characteristics, and that are used in both DC and AC applications, to simply be implausible.

4)Wolfie, as well as many of those who are on the opposite side of this issue, have earned considerable respect in my book as a result of his and their many posts here over the years.

Those are the reasons I consider Wolfie’s question to be legitimate, and to have been mostly unanswered in the past despite the lengthy discussions that have occurred, involving many of the same protagonists, in various fuse-related threads going back at least as far as the “Fuses That Matter” thread which began in 2012. At the same time, of course, I certainly recognize that many highly experienced, sincere, and knowledgeable audiophiles have reported significant benefit from these upgrades. While at least a few members having similarly high caliber audiophile credentials have tried some of these fuses and found them to provide little or no benefit, including at least one exceptionally experienced member I can think of whose system costs well north of $50K.

So from a technical standpoint what might account for the benefits that have been widely reported, and what might account for the absence of those benefits in some applications? I suspect that among the many different kinds of applications many different factors may be at play. Here is my shot at it:

1)I suspect that the effects of the small but rapid variations in fuse resistance that occur in applications in which the current through the fuse fluctuates widely are somehow affecting circuitry that is downstream of the fuse. Presumably the fluctuations in resistance differ significantly among different fuse types. I can’t explain exactly how those effects on downstream circuitry may result, though.

Circuit applications in which fuse currents fluctuate widely would include speaker fuses (even the late Peter Aczel of “The Audio Critic” recognized back in the 1980s that speaker fuses may have audible consequences), amplifier output fuses, DC rail fuses in most power amplifiers and the power amplifier sections of integrated amplifiers, and mains fuses in most power amplifiers and the power amplifier sections of integrated amplifiers, especially those not operating in class A.

2)I suspect that small differences in voltage drops resulting from small differences in resistance are probably marginally significant in at least **some** applications. For example, perhaps those differences result in audibly significant changes in the filament voltages supplied to some tubes, in designs in which those voltages are not internally regulated.

3)I would assume that the aging effects George has repeatedly referred to contribute to or are responsible for **some** of the reported benefits.

4)I would assume that improved contact integrity, scraping away of oxidation, etc., resulting from simply removing and replacing a fuse contributes to or is responsible for **some** of the reported benefits.

5)I would expect that the explanation Ralph (Atmasphere) has provided for the directionality effects that have been reported, namely reinsertion of the fuse with differing rotational orientation (rather than intrinsic directional properties), resulting in voltage drop differences which he has experimentally found to be both measurably and audibly significant (and which another member here has reported to be audibly significant), contributes to or is responsible for **some** of the reported benefits.

6)I would expect that unrecognized extraneous variables, for example differences in equipment warmup states, differences in AC voltage and noise characteristics, differences in room temperature or humidity (temperature is a fundamental parameter in the physics underlying the operation of semiconductors such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuit chips), flushing of internal digital memory that occurs when power is cycled, etc., are responsible for **some** of the reported benefits.

Finally, given the many positive reactions to fuse upgrades that have been reported here in a multitude of diverse applications, by many (but certainly not all) of the members here who have tried them and for whom I have considerable respect, I would feel pretty certain that there are other explanations I am unaware of that are at play in some cases. Especially in the harder to explain applications in which the current being conducted by the fuse does not fluctuate significantly, and where excellent internal voltage regulation is incorporated in the design. But I have no further ideas as to what those additional explanations may be. Given though, that in the video that was recently linked to in this thread even Paul McGowan indicated that he can’t explain these benefits, I guess I’m in good company :-)

Finally, as far as my own interest or lack thereof in pursuing these things is concerned, taking into account the numerous experiences and opinions that have been reported on both sides of the issue, my own technical understanding of these matters, the numerous reports we have seen here of expensive fuses that have failed when they shouldn’t have (from at least eight different members here during the past two years), and my own general preference to devote most of my listening time to just listening to music rather than spending a lot of time trying to extract the last 10 or 20% or so of the performance my system may potentially be capable of, FWIW I personally have no plans to devote time to assessing fuse upgrades in my system in the foreseeable future. Best wishes to those who do, however.

Best regards,

-- Al