The one tweak most Focals need ...

From a lot of work done analyzing Focals, if you have one, especially an older one, and want to improve the sound and maybe learn something, try upgrading the tweeter caps.

Usually this is 1 or 2 film caps in series with the tweet. I can recommend Mundorf MKP as well as Clarity CSA as being good improvements.

Of course, you probably wouldn't want to mess with your Utopias, but for the mid to low end, highly recommended.
erik_squires
audiosense -

There are three ways for you to go I think:

1 If you want to try inexpensively, update any caps in series with the tweeter and midrange.
2 Get a miniDSP and attempt to EQ your tastes into the speaker
3 Get a brand new kit.

The hardest thing for newbies to do is take an old speaker and switch a single driver. It's a lot of work, and may not be worth it due to the quality of the parts involved in the original, the cost of the new crossover, etc.

This is totally a great learning exercise. You will learn speaker measurement and analysis, you'll get new tools, and be able to dial in exactly what you want, but .... it is ONLY worth doing if you want to invest in yourself that much. To do it to reuse the parts you have, not really worth it at all.
I think the newer Focal 2's & 3's use Mundorf caps.
And, I honestly would have no idea as to how to check without destroying the cabinet.

How did you get to the caps?

ozzy
I tweaked my Focal Sopra 2's the right way: I got rid of them; biggest audio disappointment thus far;  

erik_squies,

Thanks, I did notice that there is a panel around the speaker lugs. I doubt if I will ever remove the panel though. But I am curious about the crossover components.

dpac996,

I am really surprised to hear your comments about the Focal 2's. I am using a Ayre preamp and Bob Carver 350 mono blocks and couldn't be happier.
I guess that's why there are so many choices...

ozzy