The Psychology of Constant (Equipment) Change

Anybody have an answer?

I have a decent selection of preamps, amps, integrateds and speakers to choose from and I find myself swapping out gear constantly.  And it's not because anything sounds bad.  Quite contrary, really.

After most swapping sessions, I'm generally really satisfied and quite enjoy the sound quality.  But within a few weeks I'm swapping stuff out again.

What would be the diagnosis for my condition?

128x128audiodwebe

Showing 6 responses by deep_333

After you achieve a certain fidelity level of gear, there is no endless upgrade, but only the need to try something different. One can get bored with the same sound from the same gear all year long. Manufacturers don’t get brighter and brighter by the day and can keep offering you better sound... they rinse/repeat/rehash the same thing in different packages (market it differently) after a certain point.

I have 2 multichannel rigs and 3 stereo rigs in 2 rooms to mix it up. They tend to sound very different (different forms of entertainment) and i won’t be selling any of it.

deep_333: It’s nice to have and experiment with different systems and combinations! It trains your ears to be more discerning to small changes, doesn’t it? It allows me to tell good from bad in just a few notes.

True, it helps to have multiple points of reference accessible.

Internalized memory is the core foundation for how the sense organs (eyes, ears, etc) function.

Once upon a time, when the Europeans showed up in huge ships on American shores, the natives could "see" the men appearing/moving towards the shores. But, they couldn’t "see" the huge ships (this is of course a blatant example). But, I could go to any number of examples on what I observe with guys who show up to audit my equipment. When its a guy who sounds like he’s real sure of everything, I’ll play him instruments from around the world/types of music he’s never ever heard. The fun starts there. 😉

Better system, way better exist but i dont give a damn because i had reach the minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold and i know it and i know how...

Your minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold might be lower (nothing wrong wit that and good for you). However, my minimal acoustical satisfaction threshold is just very, very, very high...sky high.

when an audio system is not well under acoustic, mechanical or electrical control by the owner ....

Then the "many reference point" need to be acoustic parameters not branded name products mainly save if instead of creating an audiophile experience you want to sell gear pieces as solution😁...

You seem to be real confused again 😖...Irrespective of whatever "acoustic/mechanical/electrical control" you acheived/tweaked away as an "owner"...well, you, didn’t really achieve a whole lot there because it’s the soundfield produced by a speaker that interfaces with the room before it hits a listener’s physicality.

For instance, that soundfield is drastically different for different types of speakers. For example, a large PA horn and a smaller concentric driver design tend to be drastically different in that manner. Whatever "acoustic/mechanical/electrical control" you achieved got thrown out the window (start all over again) when a drastically different speaker showed up.

The multiple reference points are directly tied to the gear! The "acoustic parameters" change each time for everyone, except for the 1 trick pony.

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

I appreciate all of you.

Looking through some of these posts, tt appears that you received therapy, counseling and crash courses on human psychology, geopolitics, medicine, etc, etc.

The gon gonged hard on this one, it seems, 😁

@mahgister You continue to demonstrate that your knowledge is unlimited regarding audio (amongst other things). Each time I read your posts, I am so glad that you choose to share your wisdom with us. Thank you.

What the?..holy crap!!.... MAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH, you have a fan! Now, the verbosity and repetitive nature of your content should increase 10 fold.

( Brace for impact lads, brace for impact 😂)