The Psychology of Constant (Equipment) Change

Anybody have an answer?

I have a decent selection of preamps, amps, integrateds and speakers to choose from and I find myself swapping out gear constantly.  And it's not because anything sounds bad.  Quite contrary, really.

After most swapping sessions, I'm generally really satisfied and quite enjoy the sound quality.  But within a few weeks I'm swapping stuff out again.

What would be the diagnosis for my condition?

128x128audiodwebe

Very simple: just reflects unhealed trauma where buying more “stuff” is an attempt to distract from the discomfort of the underlying issues.  How many audiophiles doesn’t take to change a lightbulb? Just one, but the lightbulb has to really WANT to change…

I think we are over analyzing the whole thing. It’s pretty simple really, there are too many toys to play with! Few sound truly bad, most sound very good to amazing. Price point is somewhat irrelevant, play in the sand that suits you. There are plenty of toys at every budget. I’ve gotten to the point I’m slowing down, if not closing the revolving door. I’ve played with the toys I want to play with and have narrowed down the field to where I am both sonically and budgetary wise. Still, the door isn’t nailed shut!

i’m with @geof3

toys are fun... we have worked all our lives to be able to have what we want, to spend our time doing what we wish... so have fun!!!

the armchair amateur psycho-babble is lame and tired

You don’t have a problem. You just like to hear how the sounds of recordings vary on different equipment. 

I prefer to figure it out once until all my recordings sound as great to my ears, and then sit back and listen. 

Post removed