The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
There innumerable ways to lumped L, C & R parameters. The signal responds to an infinite series of µL µC & µR. GEOMETRY is every bit as important.

"Lumped parameter" is an approximation.  The actual (at least as far as one can approximate) condition is distributed.  One can go deeper and deeper into the reality to find final truth.  
"Lumped parameter" is an approximation. The actual (at least as far as one can approximate) condition is distributed. One must go deeper and deeper into the reality to find final truth.

Just sayin' eh....
After reading some of the posts in this thread, it's interesting and ironic that the posts from the "subjective" camp seemed to have a better grasp of science whereas the "objective" camp was just content to regurgitate what they "read" and believed it as a religion.  Life is full of irony isn't it.

These from Iconoclast website may sum it up the conflicts within this thread.
Engineers and audiophiles have locked horns time and again, in one long argument about the attributes of speaker and interconnect cables for high-resolution audio reproduction. Audiophile designs for wire and cable products are often strange and fanciful, and haven't earned a lot of respect in the engineering world. Audiophiles, meanwhile, find that engineers do not take their evaluations of cable products very seriously. The result often is that these two groups talk past one another, as the audiophile appeals to the realm of subjective experience and the engineer dismisses it all as nonsense.

A standard approach to any problem in audio cabling begins with some fundamental measurable attributes of wire and cable: R (resistance), L (inductance) and C (capacitance). But Galen came to believe that while these factors account for MUCH of what goes on in a cable, it is still possible for cables with the same R, L and C to have different sounds. The difference comes down to time -- that some factors which are not taken fully into account in measuring overall R, L and C do affect the relative speeds of parts of the signal as they travel down the signal path. For example, while VP (velocity of propagation) is typically stated as a constant, it actually varies, and varies substantially, with frequency within the audio band. Ideally, one wants every part of a signal to travel at the same speed, and Galen looked to ways to mitigate and balance frequency-dependent effects upon signal timing.

Source and Load impedances also figure into the sonic equation.

As well designed as the Iconoclasts are, there are a whole range of systems extant where a group of trained listeners with similar preferences are going to react from

YECH!
to
             MEH
through
             OY VEY!!
Directionality, cryogenics, burn in. You can forget about everything else.