Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
128x128jafant

^It's not like it was when Lana, Dawn and Shari were there to pick up the phone.

Too bad. :-(

Hi guys, just a quick question regarding positioning.

How far apart were you able to set your Thiels from tweeter to tweeter without having a hole in the soundstage ?

Is it 9 or 10 feet or more ?

I have my 3.7s 8 feet apart as recommended in the owner's manual and pointing straight ahead as i have a lot of room from the side walls around 6-7 feet.

^Thiel measured their speakers from a distance of 3 meters (approximately 10’), and a minimum of 8’ is required for driver integration and time alignment, aimed straight ahead. If I recall correctly, the 3 meter distance would have a convergence of 22 degrees behind the listener. As space allowed, close to an equilateral triangle for placement was recommended. So, in a room with available side wall space (at least 3’ and preferably 5’ or more) closer to 10’ apart center to center. As you have more than 5’ to side walls, closer to 10’ might work and provide for a bigger soundstage. The distance to listener is another variable to consider. If placed 10’ apart (center to center) and you have less than 10’ between listener and speaker, a bit of toe in might be needed. Toe in can be tricky, just a little bit goes a long way. Too much toe in, and you can shrink soundstage and perhaps even worse, introduce brightness. Another consideration would be the distance of woofer centers to front, rear and sidewalls, and though obviously less controllable, floor and ceiling. The ratios of which can be important for smoothing bass frequency. Simply put; it might be best not to have even multiples or divisibles of any of those distances.

FWIW, as I set up my Thiels, my room affords similar wide space between speakers and sidewalls, but regrettably doesn’t offer quite the ideal distance of listener to speaker. So, I set up mine 10’ apart (center to center), 7.5’ from center to sidewalls, cabinet backs 3’ from nearest wall, and a speaker to listener distance of 8.5’. with 2.5 degrees of toe in. If your room is similar to mine in that the back wall is close to the listener, I can’t emphasize how important some absorptive room treatment behind the listener can be!

Every room is different. Use the figures as a starting point and customize as necessary.

thieliste

8 feet apart and 10 feet to you , 

if I recall that is what Tom said this is the spacing he used for testing his mods . 

2.7 manual is 8ft apart and 8 to 10ft to listener , min 3 feet speaker center from side walls and 2 1/2 from front wall to rear of cabinet

toe in should be used only if you can't meet the min. to side wall spacing ,

I can't be 10 feet from the speakers , so I used the triangle formula of 8 x 10 x 10 this gave me an angle of just less than 48 degrees to the listener , my speakers are 84 inches apart and 104 inches to listening position , 37 inches to side walls and only 28.5 to the front wall .

So if you can sit further than 10 feet from the speakers  you can experiment with moving the speakers more than 8 feet apart keeping the same angle to the listener